Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
douglas fir needles as Vegi mulch?

Posted by koryn Washington (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 11, 10 at 22:26

I have a lot of Douglas Fir trees in the back yard and have to clean up the needles from the drie way all the time. My question is this.

Would this type of pine needle be ok to use as a mulch in my new vegetable garden?

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: douglas fir needles as Vegi mulch?

Yes it is. Pine needles make good mulch.
Down south, pine needles (also called pine straw) is used extensivly as mulch for trees, shrubs, flower beds and gardens. It is prettier and better than woodchip mulch because it will not attract certain bugs.
You can even mix the broken ones with your garden soil. They might be slightlt acidic but not much. By the end of the season, pine needle mulch will be broken and can be mixed into soil.
Use the top fresh one to mulch.

o

Pine needles form great mulch !

Just mix with other compostable materials in layers and you're good to go. Compost does best when there is an equal mix of greens (fresh plant trimmings, kitchen veggie trimmings and grass clippings) and browns (shredded newspaper, brown pine needles, fallen leaves, etc.)

o

Pine needles have a tough coat that will take a while to be broken down, much like oak leaves. That is why , fresh needle are suited for mulch and old ones as soil amendment and in composts. My native GA red clay garden soil mainly has been conditioned with pine needles, maple leave, oak leaves, wood ash, compost and leaf molds. This way I have made about 500 sq-ft garden area without buying anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here