Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asparagus salt tolerance

Posted by another_buffalo 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 23:01

I had a wonderful Easter meal last year that had fresh asparagus from my friend's garden. After dinner, we wondered through her garden. The long line of asparagus was in the middle of her lawn and yet the grass had not invaded the bed. She explained that the grass could not tolerate salt, but asparagus did, so the bed was lined with salt on each side as she had been told by an 'oldtimer' to do.

Later in the summer, grass invaded my new asparagus patch, now I will have to try to get it out. I'm wondering if I can just sprinkle salt over the whole raised bed? Does anyone have experiance at how much salt asparagus can tolerate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asparagus salt tolerance

I have been using salt on my asparagus bed ever since it developed fusarium crown rot which I discovered 4 years after I put in the bed. I use about 1/2-3/4 lb food grade rock salt late winter on a bed maybe 20 feet long. I have quick draining sandy soil.

Asparagus is one of the most salt tolerant plants known and for generations, growers controlled weeds by salting. When chemical pre-emergents entered the market after WWII, growers switched and then fusariaum crown and root rots began to invade beds. Salt prevents the fusarium rots, and as I can attest, also cures it You might want to take a look at the following:

“ Rock Salt Supresses Fusarium Crown and Root Rot of Asparagus”: openagricola.nal.usda.gov/Record/IND92009783

o
RE: Asparagus salt tolerance

Wow! Thank you so much for that information. I'll check out the article, but your advice is just what I needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here