Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robyn_tx

Need an Ipubrofen

robyn_tx
11 years ago

Sorry to all y'all northern zone gardeners ... but for those of us in hot, hot Texas, it's gardening time! Ohhh, my aching bones!

Finished my garden walking paths (cardboard and mulch), laid cardboard and 8 bags of mulch in an area where I'm trying to kill undesirables, side dressed my perennials with 1/2 yard of compost, cleaned up my street gutter (which was, quite literally, growing volunteers oaks in the sludge/compost leftovers from the fall!), planted more spinach, beets, carrots and bok choi ... even tidied my garden shed. Ok, just a little, but I did do some tidying.

Oh Lordie, with my glass of vino this evening, I am definitely needing an ibuprofen.

Let the 2013 garden season begin. Yay!

Comments (11)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

roby_tx - Commiserations and cheers. But is there any reason why these jobs can't be spread over the winter in your climate? It seems that lots of them are routine maintenance and could be done gradually rather than in one big splurge at the start of 'gardening season.' In my temperate climate I potter all winter so that there isn't a big effort all at once in the spring. Things like mulching, pruning, weeding and digging can be done in mild spells long before it's warm enough to sow or plant. All year is gardening season if you spread out the chores.

• LynnMarie_
    11 years ago

Robyn,

I have been busy this weekend too. The weather was unseasonably warm, so I spread 3 pickup loads of manure around my expanded garden area by hand (meaning- shovel, wheelbarrow, rake and muscle). I have one more pile to spread, but haven't decided where to put it. Also cooked and fed three kids their meals and squeezed in a game of mini golf. I spent last night cuddling a glass of wine in front of my fireplace, contemplating all the rototilling in my future :)

Isnt it great to have a productive weekend?!

Lynn

• brittanyw
    11 years ago

Ha! I'm in DFW as well. A few weeks ago we set up our first raised beds, filled them, planted some early veggies (snap peas, lettuces) ... now it's time to weed. :(

On a side note ... I've been so pleasantly surprised by the weather the last few weeks - consistent 50s and 60s during the day. I don't think I've ever seen weather here so consistent during the cool season. It's not 75 one day and 35 the next? Strange omens ...

• chervil2
    11 years ago

I am a weekend warrior with my garden and usually ended up feeling very sore on Monday morning back at the office. With yoga three days a week, I find now that I am much stronger, more flexible, and can accomplish many task in the garden on weekends.

• stuffradio
    11 years ago

I sowed some shelling peas this last weekend during some nice above average warm days. Yesterday I finished weed eating the Blueberry field which consists of 150 plants.

• skeip
    11 years ago

Lucky you, this morning I shoveled 3" of fresh wet heavy snow, and we've got another major storm moving into the area for Thursday. I haven't seen my garden since sometime around Thanksgiving! I am itching to get some dirt under my fingernails.

Steve

• LynnMarie_
    11 years ago

Oh, fickle weather!! Three days ago, it was 70 degrees. Today we are in the middle of getting soaked with 6-10 inches of snow. No tilling for me for awhile. But I am so happy for the moisture!

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

Robyn
    Stop bragging about your warm weather. It makes me jealous. I am tired too because I was out all day in sub-freezing weather fixing my greenhouse with some insulation. I am looking forward for April and May Although the weather almanic says March weather will be 5 degree warmer so may be will get to 45 but predicting lots of rain. Not all crops need warm weather the Garlic isdoing fine in our freezing weather
    Abe

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

LMAO

You'd think I was the one drinking for the last week...I just NOW noticed how Robyn spelled ibuprofen.

Yep. I'm kinda sore today also. A tree trimmer dumped off a couple yards of chips in my driveway yesterday and I spent half the day hauling it to the backyard and building a compost pile. Next week, it's off to get a couple trucks of supplemental compost and mulch.

Spring is here!

Kevin

• robyn_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL too funny on my spelling of ibuprofen. Seriously, I was on my first glass of vino on that one! I did spell it right later in the post. Still chuckling ...

Flora - yes, you can absolutely spread a lot out in our temperate climate. This time, however, I had 4 yards of compost sitting in my single width driveway ... and I have some fussy neighbors who don't take so kindly to piles o' dirt sitting for too long. :) Can't do anything during the week and I travel quite a bit, so it's weekend warrior for me. Had to dispatch the dirt! I prune, weed, putter, etc., almost every weekend.

Skeip, most of us Texans wouldn't know a snow shovel if it swatted us in the backsides. We've had snow 3 times this winter in Dallas, but less than 2" each time and it melts in a day's time. I'm thankful to not have to shovel snow. It makes my elbows hurt just thinking about it!

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    11 years ago

This is the time of year when I realize that those of us Up North are the last to plant. You'll be picking 'maters in Texas before mine are even in the ground. It makes me long for warmer climes.

But then, come the heat of mid-summer, those Down South might find themselves wishing they were up here. It all evens out. My aches & pains will wait for June. ;-)

Did I mention that this year is expected to be Solar Maximum? Should be another hot one. I'll be planting as if I am one zone higher this year... plenty of limas, okra, and Southern peas.