Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Growing potatoes from seed?

A member on another forum is offering up what he says are rare potato seeds.

He says he has grown them from seed in about 90 days with a yield of maybe a dozen tubers.

Has anyone here ever grown potatoes from seeds as opposed to seed potatoes?

Here is a link to the offer for with what he has described as crossed breeds of several varieties True Potato Seeds

I'm curious as to what others have experienced in growing potatoes from seed.

tia

Sue

Comments (15)

• wordwiz
    15 years ago

What was it someone said: a sucker is born every second?

Rare seeds. Will send to the first 100 people who respond. Send me flower seeds.

I need to advertise the rare bean seeds I got from this stranger. Suppose to grow into the clouds with such a huge stalk that one can climb them. The stranger told me a guy named Jack even did this and brought back a Goose that laid Golden Eggs.

And all I want for these rare seeds, that only I have, is some flower seeds in exchange?

Mike

• pnbrown
    15 years ago

I have grown from TPS. True seed produces true tiny seedlings, a fraction of the size as sprouts from tubers and which grow much more slowly. Yes, they do produce tubers - much smaller tubers than those of tuber-generated plants. These mini-tubers are typically used as the seed for the main crop. TPS has some big advantages, particularly for the tropics and sub-tropics where storage and disease problems would make potato culture difficult or impossible. It is being used widely in India as I understand it.

For the average grower in north america it's quite un-necessary though fun as an experiment.

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

I tried one of the first to come down the pike about 20 years ago ( Pioneer). Very unsatisfactory. small tubers terrible taste. Left the market in short order. Newer versions are like Zolushka have stuck, but I have not tried them. As pnbrown stated above, it is not very practical here, but an interesting experiment.

• tommy2
    15 years ago

I see Catalina potato seeds in some catalogs.

Id like to give it a try..Especially since potato tubers can be fairly expensive compared to other seeds (especially if you catalog order..)

If see a pack available locally, Ill probaly give it a shot. Wont dedicate too much space to them the first year. In case they dont work/taste good.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Mike,
    LOL!
    Remy

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

Mike; there really is a Jack bean( Canavalia ensiformis) and it is relatively rare.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jack Bean

• jimster
    15 years ago

The primary reason for growing potatoes from true seed is for breeding. The usual way af growing potatoes results in a clone which, most of the time, is what we want. But if you want to try to produce something different, it must be done from true seeds.

Hey, it's a hobby. Do what you want. Have fun.

Jim

• skagit_goat_man_
    15 years ago

Another reason is TPS is there are no tuber carried diseases. I tried Catalina and they were nice looling but small. Interesting but not worth the garden space for me. Tom

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the many replies.

I have deduced then that one should not expect good tasting eating potatoes from the plants grown from seed. What one can expect are potatoes that are suitable then for next years 'seed potatoes'.

I'm left wondering how the average 'Joe or Josephine/ homeowner' can then overwinter the seed potatoes until planting time the next year in my zone, or any other zone. At my house, kept dark and cool, they would likely either rot, or wither up to nothing during the many months between fall harvest and spring planting time.

Did I deduce things correctly/incorrectly? Additional thoughts?

Sue

• hatchjon
    15 years ago

I save the smallest potatoes from each harvest through the winter and use them as seed potatoes. I have never grown potatoes from seed but it seems to me the small potatoes produced would store over winter.

Jon

• jimster
    15 years ago

You have it right, Sue. It's shriveling you need to prevent.

Potatoes need to be stored in darkness at cool temperature and high humidity. IIRC, about 40ðF and 90% R.H. Some kinds store better than others.

Leaving them in the ground is a possibility if they are kept from freezing by mulching heavily. I've had potatoes which I missed harvesting grow the next year.

Jim

• pippajg
    15 years ago

I would still like to grow seeds for propagation.save having to buy seed potatos each year..
    What is the best way to do it...do you dry the seed pods, or just plant them as is or what????
    Thanks

Original Author
    15 years ago

Again, thank you all for replying. I now know that growing them from seed is not something of interest to me, though others may be interested in growing their own seed potato starts.

Sue

• pippajg
    15 years ago

I just want to know how to grow them from seed....do you dry the seed pods, or do you just plant them when they are green..or what????

Original Author
    15 years ago

Pip,

After you have planted the seeds the first year, you should then have a harvest of 'seed potatoes' that you can then overwinter and plant the next planting season.

If you want to save 'potato seed' for planting the next year, see the link below that tells how to harvest and ferment it before drying and storing for planting the next season.

hth.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down-growing potatoes from seed