Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsnrabs

Red Bell Pepper-I'm in Love !

Deeby
10 years ago

I have always bought just green bell peppers. Just habit, I guess. The other day I got a red one just to see what they're like.
I chopped it and.saut�ed it in a little olive oil and spooned the pieces over chicken breast.
I WILL NEVER BUY GREEN ONES AGAIN ! Now I'm thinking of growing my own.
I couldn't believe the flavor, not like a green one at all-but savory and mellow with a flavor of its own.
I'm hooked !

Comments (9)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Yay! A successful conversion! I hate greens. I throw a bit in my spaghetti sauce now and then, but colored bells are in a whole different realm. Sad thing is that they take so long to ripen to final color and they all ripen at once. Best to get a leg up by starting very early under lights so one can get multiple harvests by the time the colder months roll in.

Kevin

• Deeby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Over a baked potato-I'm getting hopelessly addicted now...

• DragonFlyTx
    10 years ago

I love bell peppers period. but what you are dis scribing sounds irresistibly delicious

• lkzz
    10 years ago

Green Bell's are Red Bell's but the food industry sells the Bell pepper green for expediency - takes too long to ripen and ripened Bell peppers don't have as long a shelf life as the unripe green Bell pepper.

I agree - the green are too bitter - not too bad stuffed and baked but for the most part the ripened (red, orange, yellow) are way tastier, especially roasted and stored with olive oil. Fantastic on a sandwich!

Here is a link that might be useful: Roasted Red Peppers

• Creek-side
    10 years ago

Roasted ripe peppers are the best, especially when done on the grill. Of their myriad uses, one of my favorites is to char and peel them, put them in the food processor and then mix into humus.

• Donna
    10 years ago

I love ripe peppers too. In my area, I can get two or sometimes three full crops of ripe ones. Last year as they ripened, I would take them inside to chop or slice them. Then I spread them on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer for a few hours. Once they were solid, I scooped them into ziploc bags. I have been enjoying the ultimate convenience all winter. I'm growing several new kinds this year. Spent this morning pricking them out and potting up. Spring is coming.....

• Deeby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I froze some too. Now that I've discovered this treat I'll never be without it.
    I can't believe I had never tried one, but passed them by every time. They're a whole different food from the greens.
    The hummus sounds like something I'll like too.

• antipodean
    10 years ago

just wait till you try the yellow and orange ones as well, you'll be in heaven!

• Charlie
    10 years ago

My wife grows red bell peppers. She makes a spaghetti sauce by roasting the peppers and removing the skin and seeds. Then in a blender she places the peppers, an egg yolk, olive oil, and garlic cloves and liquifies it. She places the sauce over hot spaghetti which cooks the yolk. Delicious!