Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lining Ideas for Garden Beds

Posted by KendraSchmidt none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 0:34

Hi All,

I'd like to line my gardenbeds with something affordable. Last year, I got a roll of weedmat, and while very, very effective, it was also very, very expensive. I'd like to go a more economical route this year, and was wondering what quick and dirty weedmat/tarp ideas others here have used.

Please, any recommendations you have would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lining Ideas for Garden Beds

Black polyethylene plastic sheeting is the most economical and probably the most effective weed barrier. 4 mil will last for one or possibly two seasons. 6 mil costs more, but will last 3 to 5 years here in Michigan (probably less in climates with extreme summer heat and UV light).

You need to poke or drill drainage holes in it. Once that's done and it's put down, secured really well against the wind, it's pretty much maintenance free.

o
RE: Lining Ideas for Garden Beds

Lots of folks use cardboard and/or multiple layers of newspaper under and around their beds. I built a couple new raised beds this year and I'm trying those methods.

I also have had pretty good success with mulching my veggies with shredded paper and/or shredded leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here