Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timcad_gw

I Planted Radish Watermelon from Saved Seed

timcad
12 years ago

A few years ago I planted an isolated patch of Radish Watermelon to save seed from. They were sold to me as an heirloom variety. Since it is a winter radish I planted more in August to get a nice fall crop of them. They were huge and kept well in the ground until mid December.

Today I put out some sprouts as the weather forecast looks good. I know it's early but I am planting in succession and can replant if needed. I think they will be hardy enough to take a freeze or two and still grow a nice bulb before bolting. I found out the tender seed pods taste great. I plan on growing more plants this year and eating more pods than I save for seed. I do not know if radish grows wild around here, my guess is, it probably does. I sure hope these turn out to be true Radish Watermelon. They look and taste awesome.

Here is a pic of my garden. The area covered with straw mulch is were the radishes and carrots will go. Two feet on each end is covered with plastic, that's were the peppers and tomatoes will go, mid May, I hope. The "scaresquirrel" is an old raccoon mount I made back in the seventies.

-Tim

{{gwi:27208}}

Comments (4)