Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eddiepwns

How do Onions grow

eddiepwns
10 years ago

This may seem like a stupid question but I was wondering how do o ions grow. Not green onions but those big round white onions. Do they grow similar to garlic except you would divide the chutes and then plant?

Comments (6)

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Onions grow from seed. They're biennial. They grow a bulb the first year, then the foliage dies back, then they sprout again with a seed stalk the next year.

The bulb is actually the stem of the leaves.

• cheapheap
    10 years ago

If you have a sprouted white onion and were to want to divide it after it sprouted:

Remove the outer scales (layers) of the onion that will not completely encircle one of your divisions. Then cut the basal plate in sections to separate your desired transplants. Next, plant in prepared soil 1 foot apart in rows 2 to 3 feet apart.

For your effort you will have multiplied your original onion that would have happily gone to seed with several clones that will go to seed, and if they survive, the seed yield and quality will be less than that of the original.

But why stop there! If you were so taken by this onion and wanted to briefly share with the world. Scaling or chipping the bulb would have been an option. Sadly, preparations would have had to had been made months ago...

I looked at your posts made this week (It has been a banner first week) ... YOU have wasted my time and that of others who wish to help a fellow gardeners. If that is what you have wanted 'TrollKingster' or whoever, be happy! take it and go away. It would be interesting if someone who could check the IP addresses could check those supposed forum "conversations" out...

With that moniker, supposed clulessness about simple matters about concern over replacing your soil after using fertilizer and buying soil when it is everywhere, you asked these questions while somehow being aware of fairly specific differences in the growth habits of alliums? - ya, right! I have noticed over time there have become fewer that can answer a question on this site- trying to help at some point must just not be worth it.

Best wishes.

This post was edited by cheapheap on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 6:38

• eddiepwns
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@cheapcheap you have answered my question perfectly! I couldn't find any pintrest posts or videos on how exactly onions grow besides from these black seeds. And I know my nickname may seem foolish I think I will change it to something more garden related... This has been my screen name for over 2 years for multiple sitesI use and have had no problems. In fact people laughed with me about my nickname I made. I was also curious how I wasted your time? You helped a fellow gardener learn more about onions. And I asked those questions such as replacing soil because I read from multiple websites and wanted to see what real time truth would have said compared to an article that wasn't from a gardening website and was posted probably purely for entertainment. Also since you seem like a valued and regular poster on the garden web, is it a rule that you have to comment on other posts and not only just post questions? Like I said I'm new and love this website so far.

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

In fact simple questions like these can easily be answered by using the search and reading the results, as the forum rules clearly explain.

• cheapheap
    10 years ago

You did not waste my time. My apologies. I thought that you were asking a question that you already knew the answer to or that you could have easily searched for.

Any contributions that I have made here are very miniscule. There are many here who can answer very technical questions if they choose to.

I may have misunderstood some of your comments because of translation problems. If this is the case, your english is very good. Your username combines the word "troll" which would closely mean one who wishes to cause harm, with "king" that would mean the leader - your username would mean that you were the leader of those who wished to harm or at least create mischief.

It is not necessary to answer questions before you ask them. It is just asked that you do a search to see if a similar question has been answered.

What do you want to know? How to grow allium cepa from seed? How to grow onions for seed? Different types of edible allium to grow in the garden?

I can help. Sometimes if you are looking for something very specific it is hard to find the right terms.

• stuffradio
    10 years ago

The biggest difference between Garlic and Onion is the fact that the Onion bulb is mostly above ground.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz