Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curly leaves with brown spots on zucchini and cucumbers

Posted by Maxim1122 Israel (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 1:55

Hey, I've started zucchinis and cucumbers rom seed indoors, and since I've moved them outdoors, they have started to get leaf damage.
The cucumbers got powdery mildew so I sprayed the leaves with baking soda and dish soap solution, and I also sprayed the solution on the zucchinis to make sure they don't get powdery mildew. And both the cucumbers and zucchinis got that leaf damage as shown in the image. Can someone tell me what is that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curly leaves with brown spots on zucchini and cucumbers

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 13:51

Homemade sprays when mixed or used incorrectly or as some sort of preventative when a problem doesn't even exist yet usually do more harm than good. And that is if they even work when there IS a problem. That is the case here.

Baking soda and dish soap solution are 2 separate solutions used for different problems and have to be very carefully mixed in exactly the right proportions to avoid plant damage. You don't give the recipe you used so who knows if it is correct or not.

Unfortunately too many folks think that because it is homemade it must be safe to use. Not true. And that if a little is good then a lot must be better. Also not true.

Leave it alone and it will outgrow the damage done.

Dave

o
RE: Curly leaves with brown spots on zucchini and cucumbers

OK thanks Dave!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here