Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about growing onions and garlic

Posted by neptune24 GA, 7B (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 2:21

For the first time, this year I planted some onions and garlic. They seem to be coming up quite nicely. I have a few questions, though:

1) Some of the onion sets I planted specifically for scallions, so I planted them deeper and closer together. Can I harvest the resulting scallions continually throughout the season? And should I cut them back to the ground each time?

2) Can I also harvest the scallions from the onions that I want to become "dry" onions, or should I just leave them alone?

3) Can I harvest the green parts from the garlic too? If so, can they be used just like scallions?

Thanks for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about growing onions and garlic

#3 is yes, green garlic is very nice. That's how I mostly use it.

#2 is no, if you want large as possible bulbs.

#1 you can cut-and-come-again with onion greens, but more typical is to plant close and thin out for scallions during the season to end up with 6 to 8 inch spacing which get left for the full-size bulbs.

o

I agree with pnbrown, although I think that the answer for 2 applies to 3 as well. If you want large garlic bulbs, don't eat the green off the garlic. I plant the small cloves in a seperate area in the fall and pull them in the spring as I want for green garlic. But if you haven't tried it before, pull up a couple now and give it a taste.

o

And if you have hard neck garlic, you will get garlic skapes. That is where the stalk is curved with the start of a seed pod on the end. Pick them while they are still curved and your garlic will grow larger. They are quite tasty.

o

Thanks for your helpful replies, pnbrown, sunnibel7, and spogarden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here