Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Dark Seeded Early Perfection Peas need trellis?

Posted by drayven 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 29, 10 at 5:37

I planted some Burpee Dark Seeded Early Perfection Peas and at the time I thought they were a dwarf variety but now I can't find any evidence that is the case.
Do these need some type of support or are they a dwarf variety?
Do dwarf varieties benefit from support even if not technically necessary?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Dark Seeded Early Perfection Peas need trellis?

With growing height of about 4.5+ feet you would make effective use of space by trellis growth. It does make harvest a little easier too.

o

Where did you get that info oraganicdan?
If I was going to just string some twine between two stakes how much space should there be between each length of line?

o

Since I had never heard of this variety, I just googled the name + height, and if the height was mentioned at all, they said about 36". It was peculiar that the Burpee site didn't say anything about height.

"...how much space should there be between each length of line?"

Probably about as far apart as you plant the seeds. When I plant pole peas, I plant in a double row, but only put up strings for one row. The other row of plants holds onto the first one!

Sue

o

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.
I meant how far apart VERTICALLY should the twine be spaced?
I'm going to drive a long stake at each end of the row and run twine between them but I can't seem to find a standard spacing or even if it needs to be different depending on the type of pea.

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 14:49

belgianpup

When I plant pole peas, I plant in a double row, but only put up strings for one row. The other row of plants holds onto the first one!

Do you think this would work for pole beans, like Blue Lakes or Fortex? I plant double rows, too, but I put the trellis between the two.

Are you saying you plant two rows on only one side of a trellis, and while the first grabs the trellis, the second row grabs the plants in the first row? Or am I misunderstanding? You do mention strings, but I can visualize that they'd just replace a trellis.

[If I could plant four rows of pole beans with the trellis between the two inner rows, that would double the harvest!]

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here