Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How far does fertilizer travel?

Posted by lucille Houston (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 7:33

I have an intensive and compact garden. I am trying to find additional space for some pole beans, and I have read that beans do not do well with added fertilizer.
How far away from plants that need fertilization can beans be planted?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How far does fertilizer travel?

I would think that 2-3 feet should be sufficient. You just don't want them getting too much N so that they put on more foliage than beans. Any additional P or K would be fine. If you have to crowd them less than 2 feet I would plant something next to them that also has lower N requirements like other legumes or tomatoes, ect.

o

Fertilizer can travel as far as water can. And generally, water does not travel horizontally very far.

What you can do is to put a plastic barier , similar to what they use between grass and garden beds. They are about 6-8" wide and come in rolls, sold at garden center @ HD and elsewhere. Alternatively, you can use a 9/16 x 6" cedar board, the ones are used to make fence with.
As I said, water tends to go down by the force of gravity. UNLESS the bed is flooded.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 18:41

Also depends on the type of fertilizer. Water souable fertilizers will spread/dissipate out further than a dry granular one will even when it gets wet.

Ideally legumes should be planted as far away from routinely fertilized crops as possible - like a separate area - but that isn't always practical. When it isn't then choose granular supplements rather than liquids or as suggested, some sort of barrier between.

Many gardeners use flowers or other run-off trapping crops between the crops with very different needs but if your space is really limited then that would be a waste of space.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here