Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropheus_gw

Some good places to get seeds online

tropheus
15 years ago

I haven't googled this yet, but I thought what better place to ask than right here. Where do you go to get your seeds? Online, your local garden shop, grocery store? Where are some good places?

Thanks for your responses!

Comments (29)

• anney
    15 years ago

GW has great information available through the GW search function, and sometimes you get answers much more quickly by searching than by posting a question!

Below is a discussion about where people order their seeds. Depending on what you want to grow, you may find you want to order from more than one vendor.

If you want to see other recommendations, just search "online seeds" on GW.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeds online

• knittlin
    15 years ago

Pinetree Garden Seeds. I love how they sell you a package of 15 tomato seeds for a buck instead of 60 seeds for almost three dollars. Most home gardeners don't need that many seeds, so the smaller amounts for smaller prices make more sense. It helps me more easily try new varieties since I don't have that much to lose and don't have fifty seeds left over to find a home for (I just can't throw away seeds. ;).

So far germination is excellent. Customer service is great, too. And shipping isn't bad either.

• anney
    15 years ago

knittlin

You don't really need to throw away many leftover vegetable seeds. The good news is that most of them are good from 1-10 years if stored properly.

I agree that Pinetree's smaller seed-numbers are preferable when you're trying new varieties or you don't plant a lot of one variety but plant smaller numbers of several varieties. It's no fun getting stuck with seeds for plants you just don't like and won't ever plant again. But for those seeds you like that have a long shelf-life (like tomatoes, for instance) it's good to get a cost-effective deal on more seeds, since they last so long.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed viability in # years

• justaguy2
    15 years ago

I have used a variety of sources,online and brick and mortar stores including 10 cent seed racks and rarely have a problem with seed quality.

Having said that my favorite seed retailers are those who use resealable envelopes like Johnny's.

I have a bunch of seed packets from elsewhere that I have to fold over and tape and I really don't enjoy that.

• anney
    15 years ago

JAG

I fold them over and then secure them with a small paper clip.

I haven't had problems with seed quality either, no matter where I've bought the seeds. Well, except for one time when Burpee's sent me a packet of 5 seeds for about $4 and none of them germinated. They replaced the packet, and all of those did germinate.

• justaguy2
    15 years ago

Paper clip... huh, why didn't I think of that? LOL (smacks head)

• brookw_gw
    15 years ago

I prefer to buy in bulk whenever possible. You can get plenty of seed for just pennies. The varieties are also sometimes surprisingly plentiful. Check out local feed stores, hardware stores, etc. Ask around; you might be surprised at all that's at hand. Serendipity and quaintness combined!!
    Best of luck,
    Brook

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

The local Co-op is always a good place to get seeds too. I've had very good luck with all seeds purchased from co-op's around my area.

• wordwiz
    15 years ago

I get almost all my seeds from rareseeds.com. Randel is a really great guy and takes his seeds seriously. Almost (maybe all?) of his seeds are heirlooms. Shipping is $3, no matter how many packets you buy.

Mike

• knittlin
    15 years ago

"knittlin
    You don't really need to throw away many leftover vegetable seeds. The good news is that most of them are good from 1-10 years if stored properly." Yeah, I know about seed viability being quite long for most veggies (except chives ~ I swear they have little calendars inside that tell them to keel over and die at 364 days! LOL!). I just started some five year old tomatoes last month as a matter of fact.

I was aiming that comment at what you said later ~ it's no fun getting stuck with a lot of seeds that you don't need and never will plant. I have to find homes for them since I can't throw them away. What a pita. Kind of like puppies. *sigh* ;) Trading is one way to get rid of them, but I don't do much of that and usually do it with other, more exotic things to make it worth the postage and trouble.

• anney
    15 years ago

knittlin

I've been tempted to start the seeds of tomato plants I won't grow again, put them in 6-inch nursery pots, and set them outside my local gas station with a sign, "FREE TOMATO PLANTS", and include an information sheet about their characteristics and how to care for them!

Haven't done it so far, but there's also a Goodwill store not far from here. Hmmmm, wonder if they would be interested in them, maybe sell them for $1 or $2?

• knittlin
    15 years ago

Ha! Great minds think alike, Anney! You know what I'm doing now? Starting ALL my old seeds (along with some new ones) for a plant sale to benefit the local library. LOL! My greenhouse is stuffed to the point that I can barely walk in there and I haven't even potted them up once yet. I've been collecting 4" pots and flats at work (a nursery) to have something to put them in once they get big enough, and will be building shelves soon to hold all the potted seedlings.

The lengths I go through just to not throw seeds away. *sigh* ;)

• shebear
    15 years ago

Knittlin maybe you could get some coin envelopes and repackage the seeds into smaller amounts and sell them at the library plant sale. It would save work for you as far as planting and care for them and lots of folks might try new seeds if they only pay $.25 or $.50 for them.

• jonnys
    15 years ago

Tomato Growers Supply is great, and so is Johnnys, no affiliation with me, we just share a common name :). I like to try and purchase locally if possible, check to see if there might be a seed company in your state.

• pepperdude
    15 years ago

I like Ed Hume Seeds - not just because they're local but because they only charge $2 for regular shipping (unless you order a book) and their seeds are not nearly as expensive as most other companies. The selection is not really exotic, but for the basics I plant every year, like romaine lettuce, cilantro and cosmos they are great.

• curlylindsay
    15 years ago

Pinetree took more than 5 weeks to ship my order this year, by the time the seeds finally arrived it was too late to start them. Thumbs down.

• yardenman
    15 years ago

I store all my seeds in capped vials that I keep in a tray in the refrigerator, so they last years. When I have to replace some every few years, I go to Garden Watch and choose whoever is most highly rated. If 2 are rated very closely, I just figure out the total cost and choose the cheapest. I have no company loyalty at all. ;)

Well... For perennial flower seedlings, I always go to Bluestone but they're not much into seeds.

• ronnywil
    15 years ago

I ordered from Willhite Seed for the first time this year. I got my order in about a week. Their prices are good and I was really impressed with the packaging.

Here is a link that might be useful: Willhite

• knittlin
    15 years ago

Good idea, Shebear! I was going to do something similar with some heirloom and op seeds I save this year. Now I'll just do that with extra commercial seeds, too. Thanks for the idea.

Bummer, Curlylindsay! I got mine in twelve days, but am going to order a few more soon so will likely have a longer wait. When I went back to their website there was a notice on the front page letting everyone know that shipping times would be delayed because of tremendous demand this year. I wonder if it'll be the same with most seed companies since veggie gardening seems to be enjoying a resurgence. I work at a nursery and last year veggie sales were up 400%. Judging from the business we've had so far, this year will beat last year handily.

• lantanascape
    15 years ago

Another vote for Pinetree. I ordered from them in December and received my seeds in about two weeks. The prices are excellent, which was important since I (cover your eyes if you're sensitive) round filed all of my seeds last year due to frustration with my seed-starting efforts.

Another one I like is Heirloom Acres.

Territorial is good, but more expensive. Also like Baker Creek (rareseeds.com) and Tomato Grower's Supply for more obscure varieties of tom, pepper and eggplant seeds.

• ronnywil
    15 years ago

I like Heirloom Acres for price, selection and quantity size and I order from them. I know they are a family run operation but they are just too slow. It takes a month, 1/12th of a year to get your order. I like to know when I order or within a week, which is usually what it takes for me to get my seeds from suppliers, if I'm getting everything I ordered or if it's back ordered or out of stock so I can make other plans.

• jennoz
    15 years ago

I usually get most of my main garden seeds from Harris Seeds, which is good quality seed, though not much of a selection to speak of, all basics. They do have nationally renowned parsnips, though Ive never grown them. I use them mostly because theyre very local (same zip code), I like to support our local businesses, and they have a rack at our local garden center that has nearly everything in the catalog so I dont have to pay shipping ;)

Whatever they cant give me, I usually get from Johnnys, especially my seed potatoes, they have the best prices I can find anywhere for potatoes.

• cabrita
    15 years ago

Wow, so many seed suppliers! I had not heard of half of these.

The question asked specifically about on-line. We get seeds many other ways, including yuppy gardening stores, home depot, trading and seedings at farmer's markets. For online I have only purchased from 4 companies, and placed orders with two more.

I have had very good luck with Victory seeds in Oregon. Very well packaged, lots of information provided about planting and care, seeds are healthy looking, generous amount, and so far good spouting rate. I order off season since my planting date is so early and the order arrived quickly, both times.

I have also ordered herbs from Nichols in Oregon too. Not as impressed but they were good seeds and good experience. Good selection in herbs.

I have had pretty bad luck with Horizon herbs due to their poor sprouting rate and poor costumer service.

Bad luck too with tomatogrowers in ft myers FL. Poor sprouting rate, and the tomatoes that sprouted were not healthy or productive, even from varieties we had grown before. Other folks like them and maybe it is due to different weather. Or maybe they had a bad year last year?

I placed orders with Fedco and the Chile pepper institute but they have not arrived. The Fedco order does not win any points for quick delivery, but I suppose everybody is ordering seeds now.

• cabrita
    15 years ago

Fedco order arrived (not too late, considering how many orders they have!) and also the pepper seeds from the Chile pepper Institute. Happy with both, we are starting to sprout them right away, still do not know how well they will do.

I just wanted to mention that as far as seeds/dollar, Fedco is ahead of everybody I have ordered from online, and even most hardware store deals, very good prices.

• lirv
    15 years ago

I've found a good reliable place to get seeds at zipharvest. They also have info on preparing the soil. Lots of information to be found there.

• fbx22
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I get my seeds from all over the place. Im more specific on variety than seller. For instance this year:

Menards(burpee)

Lowes(Ferry Morse)

Jonhhy Seeds

Harris Seeds

Sustainable Seed Co

Cornucopia Seeds

Jungs (Im 25 miles from a store they have)

reseed from collected seed

80% of my stuff comes from Sustainable Seed Co, Jungs and Harris. And for flowers most of my seed is from seeds I collected in the fall

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

Bluepeahen, spamming for your company isn't allowed in the GardenWeb forums.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths