Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this?

Posted by saood Saudi - zone 10b/11 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 9:33

Found this insect - quite a number of them around my roof top garden. This is the first time I am seeing them (in last six months). Also saw this in one of the container containing cucumber seedlings.

What is this? Is this something beneficial or should I try to get rid of it? And if I I need to get rid of it. How should I do that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this?

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 11:47

The crucial question is it doing any damage to the plants? If not, then you don't have to do anything and it really doesn't matter what it is.

As to what it may be, not only will you have some different insects than we have here, but given the blurry photo, I could only make guesses based on the number of legs and what I think might be antennae. Could you provide a detailed description? Does it have wings?

Dave

o

• Posted by saood Saudi - zone 10b/11 (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 11:53

Thanks Dave for your response.

No it does not have wings but runs quite fast. Someone on some other forum told me that it might be mole cricket. Do you think so?

o

The picture is too blurry for me to name it a mole cricket with certainty though that is the first thing I thought of at first glance. It does appear to be an Orthoptera member.

Have you looked up images of mole crickets to see if there's a good match? Unless you can get a better picture, you are the only one who has seen this insect in person.

Mole crickets are very easily recognized and I've seen a million of them, but your image is simply too blurry, sorry.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 14:32

If someone already suggested mole cricket then the first thing I would do is look them up and compare my bug with all the pictures of them available. I'd pay special attention to the front legs and see if yours has the digging claws characteristic of mole crickets.

If not then I agree that the Orthopteras are the first thing I thought of but there are tons of things in that order and Google will pull up tons of info on them as well as photos. But again, if there is no plant damage then you don't need to worry about it..

If it doesn't have wings then it could easily still be in nymph stage.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here