Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with Eggplant seedlings

Posted by wlynnp_TN 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 9:57

I have six eggplant.Three are showing some sort of damage to the leaves and the other three look perfect. They are under aquarium/plant florescent lights for 14 hours a day. I have a light fan that oscillates. I'm watering from the bottom. I use actinovate when I water. I did recently re-pot them and I used my own mixture of peat, vermiculite and compost with a small amount of added lime and bio-tone fertilizer. could the damage on the leaves be fertilizer burn? anyone recognize it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with Eggplant seedlings

here's another leaf.

o

Looks more like ultraviolet damage to me (the first pic anyway). The lights may be too close or they may be getting light when it is too cool. Ensure that it is at least 70 degrees during the photoperiod.
The leaves also look very tender. On warm days, try exposing them to some sun and wind to harden them off a bit.

I had this problem with eggplants in the past and it went away when I exposed them to some sunshine to force some hardening off.

This post was edited by Slimy_Okra on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 11:02

o

ok. that makes sense. I keep my house on the cooler side...I don't run the furnace unless it gets below 60. I thought the lights would keep it warm enough. I can set them out on the porch this week since the weather will be in the 70's all week here.
Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here