Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberries next to garlic and onions

Posted by scarletdaisies 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 10:52

I tried this in the companion forum, I don't think they are very active, so I'm asking here. I read up and didn't find anything saying they couldn't be planted together, now I have them in the soil together and I'm finding all kinds of things about they don't do well.

I'm going to pluck all the blooms of the strawberries until June 1st, 2 months is surely enough time to allow to start producing fruit for first year, so by then the bunching onions will be done. The garlic won't be, I don't think so anyways, but I can transplant then.

I don't think I can find all those roots again to dig them out, nor the strawberry plants, but nothing's impossible. Can I leave them or is it completely detrimental?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberries next to garlic and onions

I had my garlic next to strawberries last year and both did exceptionally well.

o

Only half the sites say it, and I only found it after I started planting. I think the onions will chase the bugs away and still make better strawberries, so I won't worry. Thanks for the reply. I don't have to go scavenging to pull anything out.

Thanks again.

o

I planted onions next to my strawberries and the onions seem to be doing well. Not so sure about the strawberries, but last year was their first year and the plants were very small at the time. This year they look much more robust, so we'll see how they do.

o

I think they'll be fine. Sounds like everyone has had good results. I appreciate it, I would hate to have killed them even before they have their first sprout. I know onions can't grow next to peas, but wasn't sure of strawberries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here