Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bejay9_10

Vegetable mulch - shredded paper?

bejay9_10
14 years ago

By now, I'm sure many have folks are aware that California will be facing water shortages in future years. As of now, we are on 3 day/wk watering program. So far-so good with the cooler weather.

However, I am trying to forestall the inevitable if possible, and trying to find ways of keeping my little plants cool during the coming months.

I recently shredded lots of old paper (saved used printer paper mostly), and spread it around my vegetables that are already in various stages of growth. (now - cabbage, beets, carrots, etc.).

As this is a new concept for me, I'm wondering if the mat will somehow restrict air circulation, or ? I'm not happy with the old idea of adding straw - as it invites too many ground scavengers.

Any ideas on whether this might be beneficial/detrimental?

Bejay

Comments (9)

• pjames
    14 years ago

The big problem with paper is that it will blow away and create a big mess. I use alot of shredded paper in my compost and after a short time it holds together and seems to help with water retention.
    I currently have a batch of compost in my tumbler that is paper, some oak leaves and used coffee grounds from Starbucks. I intend to use this as potting soil in a month or so.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Hi Bejay - I have used it in a limited fashion in the past and I never found any problems with air circulation. Main problems were as mentioned, the tendency to blow away until well wet and matted and the appearance.

Overall it is a better mulch than none at all but not an ideal one. Still it is a good way to use up the old papers if you don't compost and it does do a bit of good for the soil over time.

But then I prefer straw or hay mulch hands-down over anything else (don't have any straw critters problem) so this is JMO. ;)

Dave

• greenthumbsj
    14 years ago

Does newspaper and those weekly ads from grocerire also work ? They have colorful prints so I was avoiding them but I found from some searches that those are soy-based paints and are bio-degradable. They are very good in retaining water(and slugs and earwigs too unfortunately) in my experience.

• denninmi
    14 years ago

I use all of my old papers, shredded, as well as newspapers, old magazines and journals.

But, I always bury them under organic mulch so they don't blow and don't look bad to the neighbors.

WORMS love them, by the way, seems to be a tasty worm treat once they soak up water.

• mikehas36
    14 years ago

I am considering using this also, my wife works in an office and I have access to unlimited amounts. I am planning on taking a trailer of water and soaking the paper as I apply it. For right now I am planning on doing the tomato plants and see how that goes, then using it on the other vegetables as the weather gets hotter.

• bejay9_10
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Never thought to use it under composting materials - although it certainly invites worms.

Most of what I've shredded is added to the worm bins. We have a lot of citrus peels to dispose of, and it is a great way to do so. It also helps to get rid of falling fruit - from wind falls, etc., so that it doesn't have to go into the garbage.

I did use the glossy stuff - but decided it takes longer to decay - and worms prefer the rougher kind of paper, without too much color. (OK - so some of us prefer steak-too).

Thank you for comments. I'll continue to monitor the paper in the growing veggie boxes, to see if it is feasible to continue or not. Perhaps the hay would work better - that is a thought for the future.

Bejay

• MrClint
    14 years ago

Amend the soil, water it well, and then cover with full sheets of layered newspaper or (even better) cardboard. Don't shred the paper. Keep a full watering can handy to wet the paper as you lay it down and layer it. Cover the paper layers with mulch. This cuts way down on weeds, retains moisture and looks great. When it's time to plant just clear away a small circle of mulch, poke through the paper layers with a hand trowel and then plant your seeds or seedlings. Keep the planting holes in the paper fairly small and mulch up around them as required. I've done this over weedy beds and even lawns. The worm action under the paper layers will amaze you. The plants will thrive and require a lot less water.

• gardenman101
    14 years ago

bejay,
    I have used newspaper as well, i do steer away from the color and glossy stuff as I am still unsure of the ink content. I work for a newspaper company so have no problem with the supply. I dont shred it though I put it down around plants 5-7 layers thick soak it and then cover it with shredded leaves or grass clippings or hay, i went through the summer with only having to water maybe once a week at the most, and boy-oh-boy did the worms love it. By season end most of it was eaten by the worms the rest was dug in and my soil has never been better.

Hope this helps
    And Happy Gardening
    Mark

• Michael
    14 years ago

bejay: I'm with pjames and others about the wind problem having once used copious amounts to hill my spuds. What a mess, never will I do that again, the garden looked like a landfill!