Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lettuce and heat?

Posted by Mindyw3 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 11:15

Lows are in the 50s and highs in the 70s and 80s. Im scared my lettuce is going to bolt! My arugula already did, but my mache has not. Problem is they are still quite small. Id say they have at least 2 to 3 weeks till maturity. Should i start picking them anyway? Or do you think theyll be fine? I just dont want them to go completely to waste.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lettuce and heat?

It depends on what variety you are growing. I think arugula will bolt a lot sooner than lettuce and a few days of 80s weather isn't a big problem as long as your lettuce is watered thoroughly.

o

Its been those temps for a while and predicted to stay that way for at least the 10 day. The varieties are little ceasar sylvestra speckles four seasons buttercrunch black seeded simpson red lollo and some space spinach.

o

The lettuces you list, and the spinach, are all varieties well suited to cut-and-come-again harvesting. You should take a few of the largest leaves from each plant every 3 or 4 days. Once they start to show signs of bolting, cut the entire plant and reseed with something else for the summer. You can re-plant things like arugula and spinach all summer but you will probably only get one harvest before they start to bolt again, so you are better off planting warm-season varieties and waiting till fall to re-plant those crops. If you have anything to transplant, and are using wide rows, you can put taller plants on the south side of the salad plants, which will shade them. This will make them grow slower, but it will help to keep the soil cooler and they will last a little longer. You can also experiment with shade cloths, light colored mulch like dried grass clippings or straw, or misting/evaporation, but nothing you do is going to change what the sun is doing, so you have to accept that things will bolt eventually, no matter what.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here