Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okra Yields Question

Posted by KendraSchmidt none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 11:21

Hi GW,

My family eats gombo weekly and we use about four pounds of okra each week to make our gombo. I am planning to grow my own okra again this year - this time working with Clemson Spineless seeds. My question is, how many okra plants do I need to have to be able to harvest four pounds per week in total? We have a lot of sun, if that's of any help.

PLEASE if someone knows the answer, I'll be superhappy. Thank you.

(As a side note, if anyone knows how high my raised bed should be for Okra plants (minimum height, please), I would really appreciate it. We have a weed mat on the ground made of some sort of cloth...if that's relevant)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okra Yields Question

Once it starts bearing, you will get two - 4 pods per day per plant until frost. You do the math.
Clemson

o

Thanks FD, seems like I'll need a few beds of nothing but okra then, if I want my food. I also wanted to be able to can some. Any ideas of which variety is the highest yield?

o

Last summer, I transplanted Okra into Black Plastic and was picking 20-40 pounds off of 240 row feet every week from June-September.

o

Highest yield. probably Cowhorn. Best all around for me Emerald.
Emerald

o

JRSlick, what variety of okra did you plant? Also, what do you mean by Black Plastic? Please let me know, 20-40 lbs sounds right up my alley.

o

Black plastic mulch. http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/ProductCart/pc/Black-Plastic-Mulch-1-Mil-Smooth-3-x-50-p360.htm

4 lbs a day would be a lot of plants. They arn't the tightest spaced veg, nor the garden's biggest producer. You may be better served by growing less of your own and picking a variety for flavor and then supplementing your own harvest with some high yeild commercial varieties from the farmers market or store.

o

4 pounds per week would translate to between 25 and 35 plants. My rule of thumb is to have 2 okra plants every 18 inches. You could squeeze that much into a single raised bed about 9 feet long by 4 feet wide using 3 "rows" each with 6 hills of 2 plants. It would require cutting okra in the middle of the bed which could be a "prickly" proposition.

DarJones

o

Perfect DarJones. Thank you everyone for your feedback. I need just that, four pounds per week. I'm hoping to maybe put additional dwarf plants into containers to ensure that I have enough to freeze for the winter months, too. 25 to 35 plants sounds PERFECT. Thanks again for your help!

o

The variety was Clemson Spineless. It was also a great year for Okra, Dry and Hot! However, the best thing was the plastic mulch and spacing it one foot apart. I have never had Okra do this well before. I am planning on doing the same thing this year and see what the results are.

Plastic mulch or landscape fabric (that is what I used) comes in 3 foot by 50, 100 or 300 foot rolls. I am using black plastic mulch this year and I purchased a 4,000 foot roll. I will have it around for a few years!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here