Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peanuts

Posted by annew21 7b NC (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 11:21

I'm growing peanuts for the first time this year. I am growing this variety, which supposedly grows very well in my area. I have two options for where to plant them. One is a 4x4 raised bed, and the other is a 4x10 in-ground bed. I can't decide which bed I want to use. Here are the things I'm considering:

• The in-ground bed is (obviously) larger and retains water better, but doesn't get as much direct sunlight as the raised bed. Is lots of direct sunlight really important for peanuts? If so, the water issue can be dealt with whereas I can't make more sunlight.

• I'll be growing snap beans (pole) in the bed where I don't grow the peanuts. Snap beans can be grown vertically, so they will yield more output in the 4x4 bed.

• I have never grown peanuts before and I don't know if I'm going to be happy with them, so maybe I should use the smaller space for the peanuts so I can do a test run.

• I've read that peanuts prefer a pH around 5-6, and the raised beds have a pretty high pH (closer to 7). I'm trying to bring it down but it's a slow process. I've successfully grown peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, okra and potatoes in the other bed (with the lower pH).

Given the above, where would you plant the peanuts? Are there any other considerations I'm not thinking about? Thanks for any help you can give.

-Anne

• Follow-Up Postings:

o
    RE: Peanuts

Anne-- maybe grow some in each location and see where they perform better. Best planted in well-drained area and tilled to at least 6" deep. Of course full sun is best, but you may be surprised what you can grow with just 4 or 5 hours of direct sun. I had a very successful peanut harvest last year in my unraised garden (pH 6.0) with direct sun from about 11 til 3 or 4 and that was fine. Of course they are a bit taller than those grown in sun all day. Didn;t seem to affect the yield or pod size. The biggest challenge I have is keeping the deer from browsing and believe me they love peanut plants. I have a short rabbit fence but just to the outside of it I place some corrugated plastic or other materials they don;t like to step on. Otherwise they'll reach over the fence and eat every one they can reach.

o

Do you have voles or rats in the garden? If yes, they will clean out all peanuts you grow.

o

Thanks for the suggestions! I do have voles and moles and deer, so I'll have to stay extra vigilant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
    • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
    • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
    • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
    • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
    • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
    • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here