Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annew21

Peanuts

Anne Wolfley
10 years ago

I'm growing peanuts for the first time this year. I am growing this variety, which supposedly grows very well in my area. I have two options for where to plant them. One is a 4x4 raised bed, and the other is a 4x10 in-ground bed. I can't decide which bed I want to use. Here are the things I'm considering:
The in-ground bed is (obviously) larger and retains water better, but doesn't get as much direct sunlight as the raised bed. Is lots of direct sunlight really important for peanuts? If so, the water issue can be dealt with whereas I can't make more sunlight.
I'll be growing snap beans (pole) in the bed where I don't grow the peanuts. Snap beans can be grown vertically, so they will yield more output in the 4x4 bed.
I have never grown peanuts before and I don't know if I'm going to be happy with them, so maybe I should use the smaller space for the peanuts so I can do a test run.
I've read that peanuts prefer a pH around 5-6, and the raised beds have a pretty high pH (closer to 7). I'm trying to bring it down but it's a slow process. I've successfully grown peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, okra and potatoes in the other bed (with the lower pH).

Given the above, where would you plant the peanuts? Are there any other considerations I'm not thinking about? Thanks for any help you can give.

-Anne

Comments (3)