Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to make trellis for peas, with string, which knot?

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6a/MA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 11 at 11:26

I have bamboo poles in the corners of my raised beds in place and I hoped to construct a string trellis with horizontals and verticals. I tried it yesterday and some of the string didn't remain taut. I wonder if there is a better knot to use over others? I just tried a simple double knot and I don't think it is holding well. Anyone ever do this? If you know the name of the knot, I can look up directions how to make it.

Thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to make trellis for peas, with string, which knot?

I just use basic square knots. More important than the knot is the kind of string you use. Make sure you use a natural cotton or twine type of string. Runners can't grasp onto nylon string that is slick feeling. Good luck!

o

It might not be the knot, it could be the string, or now sturdy in the ground the bamboo is placed.

I used to like cotton and hemp string, but now I use a thin sisal, it holds up better to humidity and sags less. I use square knots.

o

Ok, thanks for that advice. My string is just your basic ball of twine from the hardware store. I will look around for the sisal, maybe Amazon dot com sells it. We pounded the poles into the ground pretty good. Square knots, thanks. I'll give it another try as soon as it stops snowing. [g]

o

To connect the ends of two strings together, use a square knot.

To tie the end of a string to a stick, pole, string or other object, use a double half hitch.

Those two knots will take care of just about any situation. They will not slip if made properly.

Jim

o

I use a slipped double half hitch off of a clove hitch. The clove hitch keeps the twine in place during the half-hitch tying, and slipping the half hitch allows easy untying as the twine gets weighted down.

Dan

o

Thanks Jim, I'll check out those two knots and give it a try.

I also just checked my string and it is actually sisal.

o

string will expand and contract with the weather. Try soaking the twine before tying it. (tie it when it is wet)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here