Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of lime

Posted by raiderrick22 6 NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 12, 09 at 11:38

Please help. The PH level in my raised bed vegetable garden is about a 5.5.
I need to raise the PH a bit, but I don't know which lime is the best for doing this.
There seem to be about 5 different types of lime at my local store:
-Calcitic pelletized lime
-dehydrated lime
-that powdered lime (can't think of the name right now) bag refers to lawn & garden lime
-dolomitic lime
-and then there is some sort of fast acting lime that they charge twice as much for (I think this is to be used mostly for lawns). Not sure exactly what type of lime this is.

Which will work in a sufficient time period, so I can get my garden beds in shape for an early May planting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of lime

Generally your safest bet is dolomitic lime. Hydrated lime can also be used, but it reacts fast and is caustic. Pound for pound the hydrated lime will swing pH more.

In terms of raising your pH before May... I dunno. Things take some time to mellow out.

How did you determine the pH of your raised bed soil? If it was with a home test where you compare colors I would recommend a lab test before you go adding lime. Lime won't work in all cases and the specifics of your soil chemistry are going to govern what a proper application rate is. A lab test *should* provide you with a specific recommendation that removes all the guesswork.

o

The safest is ground limestone (Calcium carbonate). It takes time to react, but will act as a buffer to neutralize acid with out pushing the pH into the alkali zone. Ground dolomite ( Calcium-Magnesium Carbonate is slower, but quite useful IF you need more magnesium in the soil. In either case the pelleted forms are more expensive but work just as well. Hydrated lime (Calcium hydroxide) is fastest, but is caustic. Partcicularly dangerous to the eys when applying) Since it has a higher pH, there is a much greater danger of getting too much. Another option for a quick change of pH is wood ashes.

o

Just wanted to reinforce what others have said and add a few tidbits. Dolomitic lime is a cheap source of Magnesium if you need it. In most cases I would at least use it for part of the limestone application.

The pellitized lime is easier to work with: smells sweet, less dusting and blowing, easier to achieve more uniform application. For your small scale application that would be the choice.

For large acerage applications where price is more of an issue farmers compare lime prices to Calcium Carbonate Equivalent (CCE) and % 200 mesh fineness or smaller as that affects amount of available lime in the relative near future. Even though pellitized lime is faster acting expect months to affect your garden soil. Also, you should not apply too much at one season since any lime can damage plants if overapplied, not as bad as fertilizer but still to be cautioned. If you pH test is accurate you may need to split the lime application over time. That also gives you next year to retest your situation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here