Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Multiplying onions

Posted by ldj1002 TX (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 12:11

I got these onion sets and all it said was multiplying onions. I have attached photo how they look since coming up. How do I harvest them? Actually I know nothing about them. I need to know all including do I leave them there year around?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Multiplying onions

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 13:12

Multiplying onions aka Walking onions, aka Egyptian onions, are a perennial onion not normally harvested for their roots. Instead you harvest the small bublets that develop on the top of the stalks and leave the rest of the plant.

You leave a few of the top bulbs in place and in time the plant top falls over and plants that bulb to create a new plant, thus they "walk" and the patch expands.

Lots of Google info available on growing them.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Egyptian Walking Onions

o

Thanks very much and for the link which tells all I need to know. Now I assume you know from my photo I do have the Walking Onions.

o

If they are indeed Walking or top setting onions The above link provides all the info you need. However, most of the time Multiplier is applied to potato onions or shallots, These multiply by division of the bulb. Culture is much the same as for seeded onions, except you dig and divide the bulb cluster and save the smaller ones fror replanting and use the bigger ones like any other onion. I can't tell from you photo what you have.

o

There are a few different kinds of multiplier onions. Here's some info that might help:

Types of multiplier onions
Growing guide

The key is knowing whether they are bulb or Egyptian walking onions. You'll figure that out as the season progresses.

o

If you want to find well-suited multiplying onion cultivars for TX you need to communicate with Jeff Cupp, in AL. He is collecting all the southern cultivars he can find. I bought some different ones from him a year ago and set them out in Florida sand and left them for 10 months. Not only did some survive (some did not but that is very tough conditions) they are doing quite well. One is a top setter, others are just base multipliers.

o

In our area, the Farm Coops carry "multipler onions" which are planted as sets in the fall. You pull the clusters apart and plant each little onion about six inches apart. They each make a cluster of green onions that grow larger (the cluster, not the onions) all winter. When I want green onions, I go out, dig up a cluster, replant at least one of them in that spot and bring the rest in. Even as cold as our winter was this year, I still have beautiful green onions to pull for the early spring lettuce. I have never tried saving the sets. May have to give that a whirl this year. These are what farmerdill was referring to. I'm just giving you a bit more info. The first time I planted them I had no idea what to expect and planted WAY too many.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here