Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eating Fava Bean Leaves - large or small beans?

Posted by pdxmark (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 12:14

I planted Windsor fava beans last fall, mostly as a cover crop because I'd be planting other things in those places before the beans matured. During the winter I read about a new food trend -- eating fava bean leaves as a fresh or cooked green. It works great. As described, they are mild and tender and mix well with other fresh or cooked greens.

I'm planning to repeat my edible fava cover crop exercise again next fall, but I'm wondering whether I need to plant the (more expensive, less hardy) large bean favas for the sake of eating the leaves, or if I can plant the cheaper small bean favas for leaf eating. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eating Fava Bean Leaves - large or small beans?

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 14:25

I only plant the smaller ones (Banner). The plants are 10% smaller, but indistinguishable from Windsor otherwise. As soon as the ground unfreezes I will put in a few hundred of them.

o
RE: Eating Fava Bean Leaves - large or small beans?

Thanks Glib. Banner is what I was thinking of for its great hardiness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here