Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rakin_gw

Cantaloupe in a container

rakin
10 years ago

It was suggested that I move this question over here so,

I have sweet and early Cantaloupe and I am wondering if I am suppose to pinch off the shoots the same way that I do the cucumbers. (nothing in the arm pits). Since they are in pots, I started them early and they already have 5 leaves and are beginning to have shoots growing in their pits. This is my first time with cantaloupe. How do you all handle your container melons?

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Why are you pinching off the shoots on the cucumbers would be my first question? Nothing says you have to do that.

Container melons, assuming a large proper sized container is used do fine. The mistake most make is trying to use far too small a container. But Sweet and Early isn't a container variety. It produces huge multiple foot long vines that run all over the place so can't say how well it would do in a container unless it was something like a 1/2 whiskey barrel set in a space where the vines were free to run all over around it.

Dave

• rakin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Digdirt, I guess I should specify that I am growing vertically in a limited space. So, I was planning to prune the laterals off of the cucumbers all the way up and then let laterals grow across and train it to go back down. But this is my first time with vegetables and I haven't read much on the cantaloupes. I had not planned to grow them, but my son made a request. So, I let him sow a few seeds in a container and they have been doing very well, although a bit early. Anyway, I will probably put it on a trellis as well. So, I didn't know if I should use the same method of removing laterals or just let it grow as it wants. This variety says that it will only produce around 6 small melons. To be honest my son will be pleased to just see a few, (he is only 10) and I just want to ensure that he gets at least 1 good one. Because it is in a container, I don't think that it will be likely to get more than that, so I was thinking that maybe I can direct the plants focus to just a few fruits and eliminate any excess growth. Again, I don't know anything about cantaloupes, so excuse me if my questions sound dumb. Yes, I'm blonde, but I have dark roots. ;-)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Melon in container ? It could be challenging, I think.
    Besides a good volume of soil, it has to be deep as well.
    Then there is the question of vines. How do you manage it in a limited space ? Trellis, stake? cage?. UNLESS it is bush type.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I guess I should specify that I am growing vertically in a limited space. So, I was planning to prune the laterals off of the cucumbers all the way up and then let laterals grow across and train it to go back down.

It is your choice of course but while I don't think it is dumb to ask and I don't know the source of the information you have been given, I should point out and most gardeners grow their cukes vertically on some sort of trellis - myself included - rather than just let them run across the ground and develop rot.

But pruning the lateral vines sure isn't a common practice. They are naturally great climbers if left alone. It would weaken the primary vines, encourage vine breakage, stresses the plant, eliminate much of the pollination required by eliminating so much of the productive bloom area, reduce photosynthesis for the plant's energy, and reduces production.

Good luck with all your efforts.

Dave