Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brussels sprouts zigzag

Posted by woost2 5a WI (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 12:59

Every year my Brussels sprouts stalks bend at the soil line and then zig and zag back to relative uprightness. This makes it very hard to harvest the lower sprouts. I often don't even bother. I notice the stalks in the CSA farm field behind my house stand up straight and tall. What do you suppose I need to do to correct this?

This is a community garden plot. I generally have 3 plants. It might be spacing, I guess. But I'd think the would be reaching for the light rather than collapsing. Umm...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brussels sprouts zigzag

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 13:13

Could be amount of light exposure - they are bending to reach more light. Could also be that the stems were lanky/leggy/too weak to begin with so they bend back and forth in an effort to support the top growth until the stems can strengthen up some.

Could also be excess N stimulating too-rapid top growth for the plant to adjust to.

Dave

o
RE: Brussels sprouts zigzag

They are in full sun except where there might be shading from other veg plants. I change beds every year and every year it is the same. I will do some soil tests. Just read they have opinions about pH. The stems are very hefty -- the base gets so big around I have to use a saw to cut it.

Also read they want a lot of feeding during the season. I must admit that except for compost at planting and the odd drizzle of fish/kelp solution, I'm not good at fertilizing.

Just took a walk through the community gardens and past the farm. BS plants left standing through a hellacious winter are STILL standing up straight and tall. My one remaining plant (left for late fall harvest and then ... whammo, way too much snow too soon) is laid flat out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here