Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xcsx

Zone 6B Checking in

xCSx
12 years ago

Hi all,

Has anyone started anything in Zone 6B?

I do not have the ability to start anything inside due to some personal reasons, but I have started a bunch of peas already, planted spring onions, and a variety of lettuce & spinach. I also went ahead and tried to start a cauliflower. I know it is a little early with the last frost date for 2012 for maybe lettuce and cauliflower, but I decided since we are having a warmer spring and they are frost tolerant, to go ahead, I am going to replant lettuce every 3 weeks throughout the season anyway. So what has everyone else started? If anything.

Comments (21)

• Molex 7a NYC
    12 years ago

Here in NYC I am looking at St.Patrick's day weekend to plant out much of my spring garden. Peas, spinach and lettuce for starters and then I'll see how it goes.

• delaware
    12 years ago

Same here in Delaware...waiting for March 15 to direct sow lettuce, spinach, onions and start tomato and squash seeds inside.

• planatus
    12 years ago

I'm setting out more lettuce and spinach started indoors under tunnels, hoping that next week's mild weather allows me to move the cabbage and onion seedlings outdoors to harden off. Yes, it's finally time to start tomatoes and peppers, and I need the space under lights.

Our soil never froze hard this winter, but it still feels awfully chilly when I'm pulling out henbit and chickweed. I've weeded and mulched the garlic and hardy onions. Lettuce I set out two weeks ago under cloches looks great, but the spinach can't seem to find the nutrients it needs, soil still too cold.

• desperado28
    12 years ago

I'm in DE also, have a few peas in pots but they havent taken off like I wanted. I am going to presprout a few today and try to plant them on Sunday. Probably will drop some lettuce out soon too.

• t-bird
    12 years ago

spinach and radish are up, looking for beets and peas that I planted last week......

• xCSx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

nothing of mine has sprouted yet, if they don't sprout within 10 days should i replant?

• pitcom
    12 years ago

I direct seeded my kale, chard and beets today. I'm right by the DE border in Pa. I already have tons of lettuce, spinach, radishes, kholrabi, carrots and beets growing in the hoop houses. It's really been a great winter and the long range forecast looks fantastic as of now.

• t-bird
    12 years ago

xCSx - yes - replant if the seeds say they should be up within a week or so and the weather has been favorable....if the time for seeds to be up is 1-2 weeks per the packet - give them a little more time. My spinach took 2+ weeks - but I knew that some days the weather was not optimal..

my rapini is also up yay!- but no show yet from some broccoli and cabbages planted the same day...

this weekend I added some turnips, mizuna, chinese cabbage, and daikon seeds to the directed seeded group.....excited every morning to run out and see what's happening!

I have some small chard indoors....think it's time to put them out......

• xCSx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well if nothing sprouted by today, i am going to replant, also time to put in some carrots and possibly brocolli

• bper
    12 years ago

Just planted my onion sets, carrots, beets, peas and radishes this past weekend. I'm in central Washington state. The weather has not really stabilized here yet, with more snow yesterday that melted.

Still need to plant turnips and parsnips, but not sure, it might be to early for them.

• xCSx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

just replanted peas, lettuce, spinach, onions, cauliflower. additionally planted carrots and broccoli... if nothing germinates then i either have bad seeds or bad soil....

• carol_se_pa_6
    12 years ago

Patience is necessary when gardening. The ground is still cool. Give the seeds a chance.

• Wendy
    12 years ago

My cabbage seedlings are in covered area doing its hardening process and I will transplant a few to my bed this weekend, also broccoli.
    Will direct seed peas, carrot, lettuce, this Saturday.
    Trying square foot gardening for one 4*8 bed, hope it is good.
    Wendy

• pitcom
    12 years ago

Everything germinated well for me. My pea plants are about 6" tall right now. This is the earliest I've ever had peas going. I even planted some squash and zucchini for the heck of it, they germinated perfectly fine as well. Seeing as the long range forcecast has high hitting near 80 next week, and the lowest low being 45 in the next 2 weeks, i figured it was worth the shot.

• gardenman101
    12 years ago

I planted my garden a few days ago (started anyways) I put in beets, radishes, spinach, lettuce, kholrabi, turnips, chard, rutabagas and peas. Nothing yet so far has come up but its only been a couple of days.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

Put in some Walla Walla Onion seeds and doing some snap peas later today. Maybe some spinach too! Got a few tomatoes started in the house.

• xCSx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

In my cooler weather bed 15 of my 18 square feet are now planted (last 3 will go to beans when it becomes a week or two into april)

Here is what I planted:
    Type Variety
    Onion Flat of Italy
    Onion Bianca Di Maggio
    Pea Snow - Oregon Sugar Pod
    Pea Shelling - Progress #9
    Pea Snap - Sugar Snap
    Pea Snow - Golden Sweet
    Lettuce Romaine -Little Gem
    Spinach Bloomsdale
    Spinach Tyee
    Cauliflower Purple of Sicily
    Carrot Tonda Di Parigi
    Broccoli De Cicco
    Broccoli Waltham 29
    Radish Giant of Sicily

• scarletdaisies
    12 years ago

I have some tomato seeds in an eggshell, some garlic, onions, and I also planted my strawberry plants. I haven't even got a clue how big of a garden I'm allowed to have where I'm at now. I put a potato in some water to soak all night, then put in a brown bag in a cool place to start off some potatoes.

I'm near the edge of Kentucky and Tennessee.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

bper, I'm 6B central WA too.....

I've planted beets, radishes, lettuce, peas... I will plant the carrots tomorrow. :)

• xCSx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Everything I planted so far has sprouted, some with better germination rates than others... my spring garden is really going well now.

• brighteyesLC7
    12 years ago

On St. Patty's day I planted peas, lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, beets and radishes direct from seed in my NEW! raised beds. Most have popped all ready (except beets and lettuce?) and survived last night under a quilt.

Indoors in early March I started tomatoes (5 varieties), peppers (2), eggplant, cauliflower and cabbage. They are really picking up too!

This past Sunday my Walla Walla onion sets arrived and I set those in the raised beds as well. I had too many for my small area so I decided to use some as "spring onions" or scallions and planted them 16 to a square (sqft gardening spacing).

Hope everyone covered up last night with that cold snap! At least I know my homemade pea trellis is strong since it survived all the wind we had here!