Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sun gold and sweet million tomato feeding

Posted by ctjames 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 13:08

I am growing these from seed and want to know at what point do I start to feed them and what kind of solution. I have never grown these before and would welcome any help on any feature of growing tomatoes. Also a good organic fertilizer. How much and how often to water. I have read some post here where people have said to starve them of water and force the roots to grow, I have never heard that before.

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sun gold and sweet million tomato feeding

Well I hope I'm not too off topic as I have never grown either of those but them being tomatoes......

I don't use fertilizer for tomatoes I just add new compost to my soil each growing season and have lots of tomatoes.

o
RE: sun gold and sweet million tomato feeding

So these are still young seedlings, correct? If so then minimal if any feeding is needed for seedlings. Some may use a very diluted (1/4-1/2 strength mix of your favorite liquid fertilizer once a week after the plants develop 2 sets of true leaves. You'll find this discussed in much more detail over on the Growing from Seed forum and on the Growing Tomatoes forum here. The specific variety you are growing makes no difference. All tomato plants are treated the same.

Once transplanted to the garden, that when actual feeding begins and at that time the choice of the 100's of products out there is yours to make.

As to how much and how often to water tomatoes? That all depends on your soil and how well it drains? In ground or in containers? Age of the plant? Has it set fruit or not yet? etc. etc. There is no specific formula or rule that applies to all situations or to all gardens or even to all seedlings when it comes to watering.

I have read some post here where people have said to starve them of water and force the roots to grow, I have never heard that before.

If that is what was actually said and meant then no and you won't hear that from anyone who knows anything about growing tomato seedlings. The point many of us often make is that you must avoid OVER-watering seedlings and that can destroy the roots and that they will tolerate UNDER-watering better than they will OVER-watering.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing from Seed Forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here