Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bottle Neck Onion Sets

Posted by brenda_md 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 08 at 13:18

Is anyone familiar with the spring or green onions referred to as bottle neck onions? The bulbs for these onion sets are elongated. They are a really nice onion to eat for spring onions as there is more white going up before turning green and they usually are on the milder side than most spring onions. If they get too large before they are eaten as spring onions, they are quite nice and sweet if cooked on the grill later in the summer.

Our local garden markets here in Maryland carried these for years, but everyone has stopped selling them the last few years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bottle Neck Onion Sets

Not familiar with the term bottle neck, but many local feed and seeds carried the red torpedo as sets. Have not really looked lately, as plants have become available, sets have drastically lost popularity. Hume sells seed for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Torpedo

o
RE: Bottle Neck Onion Sets

Thanks, I checked out the Red Torpedo onion, but that is not it. I did a little more search on the internet (not that I did not do a lot of searching last year) and discovered they are actually called bottle onions or, maybe more appropriately, Amish bottle onions.

I found only one address source for them in Pennsylvania, of course no phone, they are Amish! So I will have to use snail mail to contact them. Hopefully they still have some onion bulbs left. Sure hate to see these old varieties die out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here