Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I put ortho fire ant mound killer in my garden

Posted by tamedmunds none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 13:21

I discovered yesterday evening a mound of fire ants in my vegetable garden, without thinking I threw some ortho fire ant mound killer granules on the nest, I went out this morning to water and there are plenty of dead ones and some dying ones, I THEN thought that this may not of been the best thing to use. This is my first real garden and I'm sure I will make mistakes and learn along the way. My questions is will my thoughtfulness kill my plants or worse poison them? Is there anything I can do at this point to correct it if this was the wrong thing to do? Please help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I put ortho fire ant mound killer in my garden

First, check the label and see if it is rated as 'Safe to Use Around Food Crops'. It should be indicated.

Second, is this only in one spot in the garden? How big an area? No reason you can't use the rest of the garden.

Third, flush the area out well with water and/or mix in some fresh compost and soil into the area.

Dave

o

Wait at least 2 weeks before harvesting/eating anything.

It's got a moderate residual toxicity.

o

What is the active ingredient? If I am not mistaken, Ortho makes one with Acephate and another with Spinosad. If you've used the one with acephate, you will not be able to harvest vegetables at all. Acephate is a systemic insecticide and will be translocated throughout the plant in a short period of time. That product is labeled strictly for lawns and ornamental beds.

Spinosad, however, is labeled for vegetable garden use.

So, which do you have?

If it's the one with acephate, I'd not drench it with water, unless you are told to by the Ortho people when you call the toll free number on the label. At the very least, you should cover any remaining granules with some soil so that the birds aren't tempted to eat it.

Pesticide labels need to be read with care and followed even more carefully. Hopefully, you've purchased with organic product with Spinosad and not the toxic cholinesterase inhibitor!

Here is a link that might be useful: Acephate information

o

There is never one fire ant mound. There will be more if you are range of a "lens" or network of mounds. Get some spinosad-based bait and a tea kettle. When you see mounds not near plants, douse them with boiling water. Treat other new mounds with the spinosad product. Check you property every few days and stay on top of it. Can be done!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here