Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drnewman6_gw

Onions in Chicken Manure?

drnewman6
12 years ago

Last fall (sometime in Sept) I opened up part of my garden to my 6 chickens. They stayed in this area for about 2 months, before I moved them to another area.

I really didn't think much about that, when I turned the soil over in one of the beds and planted onions a few weeks ago. I have read that chicken manure is fine for onions if it is composted first. Shouldn't this be ok, as the manure was at least 3 or 3 1/2 months old before I planted the onions (not green onions these are yellow and red onion sets)? We sometimes eat the onions raw. I didn't add any manure, it is just in there from them pooping in the beds.

I've read several things about it and come away confused. Some people indicate no "root" plants in manure, others say onions are not a root plant and thrive in manure. I have also read that I shouldn't plant lettuce in soil with chicken manure. I raise leaf lettuce and just tear off the leafs. Would manure in the soil as I stated above really effect the leaf? If so, wouldn't that go for any herb or for things like cucumbers and squash, as they also touch the soil?

I have not started a compost pile, but I have saved the little bit of manure from their house and have it in small piles to dry out. Some of it is a year old. It is mixed with pine chips, as that is what I have on the floor of their house. What plants in a vegetable garden should not have chicken manure on them, if it is not "hot".

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery