Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant broccoli, lettuce and peas in NJ?

Posted by last1earth z6NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 11, 11 at 14:23

I've never actually grown broccoli before. I have been reading up on when to plant it, but am still confused. Guidelines say to plant it when the soil can be worked (also peas and lettuce). But would'nt the cold temperatures hurt them? I don't get it- how can you know exactly when? And do you plant seeds or seedlings (which I have grown, they are small still).
Should I start lettuce indoors now? When should I palnt it?
If I grow peas, will they be done producing by the time it is to plant tomatoes? And again how do I know when to plant them exactly?
Thanks any advice appreciated. I just don't get it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant broccoli, lettuce and peas in NJ?

For me, I was supposed to plant Broccoli indoors starting March 1st. I'm in zone 8. One of the local seed places have a calendar for my area, so maybe see if one of your local ones also have a calendar for your area.

o

Broccoli transplants, right? Wait another 10 days-2 weeks normally but given what I have heard about the weather in your area it may be longer. But you can start your seeds indoors now. Have you even been able to till your garden soil yet? If so then lettuce and pea seeds can be planted now or even 2 weeks from now.

How you know when is by watching your weather forecasts and checking your soil temps. Each variety of plant has a specific ranges of soil temps needed for seed germination. Many charts are available on the web.

If I grow peas, will they be done producing by the time it is to plant tomatoes?

English green peas? No they will still be producing so save some room for the first tomato plants some where else. Once the peas are finished you can put some later tomato plants there. They don't all have to be planted at the same time.

Dave

o

I'm in Zone 6 SE NY so Were about the same climate. Lettuce can be planted indoors now. You could wait a week or two to plant it directly outside. Wait till about the 20th to direct sow peas or plant them in the late fall and cover them for the winter. Broccoli should be started indoors about FEB 25th or buy transplants and plant them about april 1. Snow peas will be done by tomato season other peas will not be. Do Not plant if your soil is wet. Plant inside instead. to test it take a handful squeeze it and if you can crumble it apart then you can plant.

o

last1earth - where in NJ are you? I'm in Mercer County.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here