Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leaves turning brown

Posted by murphyj_66 TX (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 31, 09 at 14:35

The leaves on my new cucumber seedlings and on my transplanted squash are turning brown. Some of them have gotten thin and gray and then turn brown. What's up with that??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leaves turning brown

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 31, 09 at 14:48

Did you recently move them outdoors? Or just plant them?

If so, could be windburn, sunburn, and/or leaf drying.

Can you post an image or two?

o

I will take pictures this evening and post them. The squash was recently planted from seedlings but the cucumbers were new sprouts from seeds.

o

Did you get a freeze during that cold front that blew through last weekend? If so, did you cover them adequately? If the answer to the first question is yes and the second is no, then it's most likely frost damage. It shows up as thin-looking leaves (and parts of leaves) the next day that turn brown and crispy over the next couple days.

o

We didn't get a freeze but it did get chilly. The leaves on the cucumber plants are white and thinning. This evening when I went out to check some of them had wilted and were on the ground. I have pictures but can't figure out how to post them and link them to the posting.

o

The gray sounds like a mold. How much rain/watering has occurred in the past week or so?

o

They are planted in a top soil compost mix that is very loose. I was afraid they were getting too dry so I have been watering them every other day or so with a sprayer. Yesterday I watered them with the sprinkler for about 45 minutes or so. They didn't seem to be overly wet though. That soil seems to dry out very fast. It has been very windy and I was afraid that was drying them out also.

o

Did they look like this mine snapped back and are growning well now .
Photobucket

o

I have had this problem with all of my vines. It has affected all of my gourds, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins. I think it is a fungus either Colletotrichum orbiculare or Alternaria leaf blight. Is there any cure for this or should I just start over? Will I have this problem if i dont treat the soil? Anyone?

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaves turning brown

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, May 31, 09 at 14:40

Environmental stress -- heat, breeze/wind, lo humidity -- compared to what they previously had.

Not a disease of any sort.

Temporary protection is likely to help. Try row covers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here