Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Safe to grow, outside fencing?

Posted by mbat 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 14:42

My winter squash escaped and went outside the fence last year: there seemed to be no harm from predatory animals. What else can be grown outside the fence without concern about critturs? I am thinking: kale, tomatillos, asparagus, herbs, and squash. Anything else that would not get eaten by four-legged-creatures?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Safe to grow, outside fencing?

Onions, all kinds.

Carol

o

Well, it depends on how hungry they are. Generally they leave asparagus alone (but not always). It also depends on what types of 4 legged creatures you have. We have had deer stomp smaller pumpkins to eat them. I think kale is a favorite of bunnies and deer, I would definitely keep it inside the fence.

o

Squirrels will get squash

o

Some of us don't have a fence at all and do fine, so it completely depends on your critter populations and what else they have to eat. I have tons of squirrels and chipmunks - and a fence wouldn't keep them out anyway. I also have some rabbits and some deer, moles, and an occasional woodchuck, but for some reason I have had minimal damage from any of them.

o

It really depends how hungry they are. But, I could tell you not to plan on the crop of whatever is planted outside that fence, the animals, deer mainly, eat anything planted outside my fence. Watch out for the birds as well. I wouldnt plant anything vegetable, maybe onions, but you could try some pungent herbs or perhaps flowers like marigolds? The deer hate marigolds. Oh, and garlic.

o

My groundhogs adored my squash plants...

o

thanks for that great experience-ridden advice. I will use that info to plan things outside-the-fence!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here