Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
making new garden - how deep should the loam be?

Posted by jbrooks544 NE US (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 22, 09 at 14:58

Hi, I'm making a new garden, approximately 30' x 40'. The soil is just sand with scant pine litter on part of it, nothing I'd try to improve or use for veggies, etc. My plan is to buy as much screened loam as I need, and just raise the whole area. How deep should I make the loam? Do I need to loosen up the underlying sand at all, by rototilling it? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: making new garden - how deep should the loam be?

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 22, 09 at 15:12

Sand never ever needs any rototilling or tilling for that matter. In fact, you will see that it comes up year after year, through the loam, until you have to put down much more than you thought you needed.

Which brings me to the second point: buying the loam will cost you a pretty penny. We are probably talking about 1200 cuft minimum. Of this one foot depth, about 2/3 will sink into the sand over time, making it a four inches raised bed. In a nutshell, you need much more compost than a guy with clay soil. But, sandy soil allows easy weeding, and is ideal for layering (lasagna) methods.

In my sandy soil, I have put down about one ft of wood chips in my flowerbeds, about 1.5 ft in the older garden (it does have very nice soil now), and about 10 inches in the new garden (soil good but still improving). Find a way to use large amounts of mulch or make large amounts of compost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here