Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mindyw3

should i go ahead and harvest my broccoli?

Mindyw3
12 years ago

A little annoyed...only one of my 8 broccoli plants has produced a head so far. I was hoping id be able to have a couple to harvest at a time so the is actually enough to eat! Anyhoo, the one head is only about 2 to 3 inches or less across and is beginning to "seperate". The variety is green goliath. I guess i expected a larger head. I assume i should harvest now? If so that blows. There is only enough for like 3 bites. : (

Comments (9)

• bi11me
    12 years ago

Goliath heads should be 8 to 10 inches at least. Your one plant was probably stressed and produced early. Cut off the top and hope for side shoots. Not worth stressing about.

• angiemomma4
    12 years ago

That happened to me too this year. Except when I broke down and harvested them early they were covered in aphids too so double darn. See post about aphids.
    Sorry about your broccoli. I love it too and can't seem to get it growing under the right circumstances. That, and also brussels sprouts.

Angie

• mandolls
    12 years ago

Last year I grew broccoli for the first time. I never got big heads at all. I did harvest side shoots all summer.

I also tried romesco cauliflower and got nothing but foliage on most of them and one tiny head on one.

I grew them in raised bed with lots of cow manure, about 6 hours a day of full sun.

They were started indoors and transplanted out after about 6 weeks. Is that to long? Were they stressed from being in pots to long?

Any advice for this year's crop?

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Agree with the above about what size Goliath heads should be. I would assume a nutrient deficiency with heads that small.

Dave

• Mindyw3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The plants look fantastic otherwise. No obvious signs of a deficiency. I fed them as soon as the ground thawed with a 7-5-2 and give them weekly/biweekly feedings of seaweed liquid (2-3-1). I have yet to get a head on a cauliflowetr butt then again my cauliflower is nearly the same size it was at transplant a month ago. : (. These areall planted with various other crops that are doing well. Not sure what else to try. I do have some di cicco. Maybe those will do better for me if they head before the heat gets ridiculous.

• Mindyw3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The plants look fantastic otherwise. No obvious signs of a deficiency. I fed them as soon as the ground thawed with a 7-5-2 and give them weekly/biweekly feedings of seaweed liquid (2-3-1). I have yet to get a head on a cauliflowetr butt then again my cauliflower is nearly the same size it was at transplant a month ago. : (. These areall planted with various other crops that are doing well. Not sure what else to try. I do have some di cicco. Maybe those will do better for me if they head before the heat gets ridiculous.

• macky77
    12 years ago

Mandolls, yes... six weeks is too long (unless they were in especially large pots). I don't let any brassicas stay in pots longer than four weeks and I get heads that weigh in at a pound and a half. They don't get any special treatment except protection against those damn cabbage worms.

Mindyw3, I agree that the plant was probably stressed which caused the small head. Hold out for the side shoots and better luck next time. Your cauliflower shouldn't be the same size as it was a month ago. Are you putting these guys out too early (too cold)? What's the soil temp when you transplant them out?

• Mindyw3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Im not sure on soil temp. They were in a cold frame of sorts. It was pretty warm.

• bi11me
    12 years ago

Heat in a cold frame is primarily the soil surface and air, not the deep soil where the roots are, unless the sides of the cold frame are well insulated below ground. If you decide to push your luck with early planting, these consequences are the risk you take. Using staggered planting dates will extend your harvest and make minor setbacks less troubling.