Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fertilize spuds under or over?

Posted by thefarmguy coastal b.c. can (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 15:32

over the past years i have been putting a handfull of 4-4-4 organic fertilizer in the bottom of the hole i plant my potato i kick a bit of soil over it and then add the seed potato and fill the hole...it seems to work ok,,,i wondering though if i should reverse this with the fertilizer above the seed potato? anyone sprout a theory on this,,,,thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fertilize spuds under or over?

The tests I have read shows the best results with the fertilizer beside [a couple inches away] the seed piece or perhaps an inch below it.

o

I can't see what benefit would come from fertilizer above. What are you thinking would be the benefit? It is for the roots and the roots are below.

I plant with the fertilizer worked into the trench base well, then the spuds, then cover, then hill as needed. Side dressing with more fertilizer mid-season.

Dave

o

• Posted by RpR_ none (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 0:49

Only the small tap-root of a potato plant grows below the original seed, they actually grow up, which is why potatoes have to be hilled up to stop them from turning green.
The potatoes on the stolons are what need the most nutrients and putting the food above the seed puts it where the stolon parts are._

If a potato is left in the ground it will send out more stems.
Tubers are actually swollen portions of underground stems (stolons) stems have nodes, and buds arise at nodes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here