Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grubs in Pepper Area

Posted by muddypaws4ever 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 15:35

Hi all! What a wealth of info on here. It's great for gardeners like me.

Anyway here's my question. I'm clearing out an area for my pepper plants. I noticed some grubs - not many but some. Can I treat for them now (late march) and it would be okay to plant pepper plants by mid May?

Thanks again!
Muddypaws

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grubs in Pepper Area

Depends on what you are going to "treat them" with. The active soil life varies from chemical to chemical.

Honestly some are normal in most gardens so for the most part I'd ignore them chemical-treatment-wise. If you are tilling/turning the soil that alone will take care of most of them.

If you want an organic treatment (allows you to plant right away) look into parasitic nematodes. Inexpensive and very effective.

Dave

o

I'm not sure that I would worry too much about 'some' grubs. I am curious about what you would treat them with.

o

I wouldnt worry about them, as long as its not a heavy infestaation, the act of turning the soil will eliminate most (ie, birds and sun exposure) Every garden is going to have grubs, its inevitable,

o

Most of the grubs in my yard are in the compost pile. I've found over the years, that allowing the "wildlife" clear out most of the grubs first, then sifting the compost, letting the birds finish off the pill bugs, this simple remedy works well.

Get em before you put the fresh compost into the planting areas, saves alot of headache later on.

Bejay

o

I see plenty of grubs every time I dig, and I toss them out and hope the robins eat them. I don't think they are particularly destructive pests.

o

I never worry about grubs in the garden, certainly not enough to treat an area for them. I've found that most are Japanese beetles, June bugs or those giant Green June bugs. I've found lots of grubs over the years and never had a problem.

I also toss the Japanese beetle grubs to the robins. Most of them get eaten by grackles and starlings as they rise to the surface of the soil. I actually leave the Green June bug grubs (huge!)because I like the beetles. They have never damaged crops in the areas where I leave them and the grubs only eat decaying organic matter.

Bellatrix

o

Birds actually follow me around when I'm pottering about outside, knowing that I will toss caterpillars and grubs to them.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 16:48

Bella_trix,
The Japanese beelte grub is a grass root eater & the beetle eats leaves(small June bug).
The larger grubs eat compost like earthworms, the larger beetle are Green fruit beetle. The green fruit beetle only eat damaged fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here