Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asparagus planting depth - old vs. new method?

Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 19, 09 at 15:48

I have a question regarding the proper depth for planting asparagus. Ive read conflicting information, some of it old and some of it new.

One source printed in 1981 ("Grow the Best Asparagus" by Michael Higgins, Storey Publishing) says that you should vary the depth from about 18 inches to 5 inches to spread the harvest over a longer period. The theory was that the shallower planted crows would come up first and the deepest planted crows would come up last.

The other source printed in 1994 (Ohio State University Extension Fact Sheet) says you should plant them no deeper than 5 or 6 inches. It goes on to say that "research shows that the deeper the crowns are planted, the more the total yield is reduced".

So whats the real story here? Is the more modern method the way to go? Or does planting at different depths do what it is supposed to do (spread out the harvest)? Does anyone have any first hand evidence on this topic?

Thanks!
Bart

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asparagus planting depth - old vs. new method?

I had planted the roots so that crown remains barely visible at the surface level of the garden soil.Since the roots are of different lengths you will need to dig the holes of different depth so that crown remains at the surface level.
I hope you will hear more from fellow gardeners about their experience.

o

Bart - same zone here. ;) I subscribe to the 6" depth planting guideline as long as one doesn't live in the far north where the ground freeze depth can be a concern.

Planted at the surface makes them too susceptible to disease and crown rot or damage and much deeper than 6-8" can indeed reduce production.

We have several beds and one of the oldest was originally planted 12" deep. We get less spears and more damaged spears from it and it is more difficult to supply nutrients that deep.

Dave

o

Bart,

I agree with Dave. There has been a lot of research into this subject from many Ag University teams, and all advice now is that 6 inches is the optimal planting depth. Deeper planting will significantly reduce yields. If you're up to a little more work, dig to 12 inches or more...then backfill to the 6 inch planting depth. Your crowns will adapt to their new home more rapidly and thank you with increased vigor.

Hal

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 20, 09 at 7:18

Thanks folks, that's just the advice I was looking for. When less digging equals more productivity, then I'm on board!

Thanks again,
Bart

o

Great. Where were you guys when I was planting my beds 12' three years ago? Now I want to divide my crowns and spread them out cause I think they are too close together and now I find out I should bring them up to 6'. They are so solid in the bed I can't even budge them. Now what?

o

Susan,

I just read your "Members Page", and I'm impressed! What a wonderful thing you're doing.

Having said that, I wish I had some encouraging advice for you concerning your 'gus bed. If I were you, and since you're expanding your operation, I would let well enough alone and plant a new bed of 'gus somewhere in your enlarged operation. "Rearranging" an established aspargus bed is not on my list of fun things to do...for reasons obvious to you now.

I'm a great help, right? ~smile~

Best wishes!
Hal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here