Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Spring peas

newyorkrita
11 years ago

I started on my peas March 21 when I planted Super Sugar Snaps in ground. These were my favorite peas last year.

Today I planted four large pots of Sugar Lace II snap peas. I had peas in these pots last fall. I have found that peas do really well in large pots. I still have seeds left of the Sugar Lace so I will probably plant another pot or two, Not today though. The Sugar Lace are new to me. I have never tried this variety before.

I have decided I will place my Cascadia snap peas in ground, maybe I will do that tomorrow. And I watered the Super Sugar Snap peas I planted last week.

So I am on my way to my veggie garden getting planted and hope they all sprout soon.

Comments (59)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The peas I have in pots are sprouting!!! So far I don't see anything starting on the ones planted in ground.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those peas in pots are doing so well that I planted two more pots. Used up the leftover Sugar Lace II seeds that I had. So I had four pots of Sugar Lace II and four pots of Snow peas. Now I will have six pots of Sugar Lace II.
    I always have good luck planting peas in pots, I planted them in pots last spring. None in ground. Then last fall I planted them in pots again but did put some in ground. This fall I will be planing peas in pots also.

I watered all my peas including the inground ones. Those early inground ones (Super Sugar Snap) I planted March 21 and I don't see anything sprouting yet. But the pots I planted March 29 and March 30. So they sprouted quickly.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

peas on pots sprouting

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    10 years ago

Here in central Texas, I put my Super Sugar Snap peas in in December (our "spring" comes pretty early!) My first year planting them. Harvested in February/March. Fantastic. Seven foot vines. Cold-hardy down to low-20s, which works well here most years since it only occasionally gets below freezing. These also work well in "wintertime" here, because that's when we're doing occasional fires in the fireplace, and legumes love ash. They're all done and gone now, and I have tomatoes growing where they were. One lesson I learned is that these guys phototrope like crazy. so be sure to plant on the north side of whatever trellis you're using.

• kathyb912_in (5a/5b, Central IN)
    10 years ago

Rita, what size pots are those and what do you use for support? I've got some Cascadia peas that I'm anxious to get in the ground, but I'd love to try some in pots, too. Never thought to do that before!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is my second season doing the peas in pots. I find them easy to do in pots and they do very well. The pots are 15 and 17 inche ones. I use tomato cages or bamboo stakes made into a teepee for support.

I tried this because I had no room in ground. Found they did great and now I always do pots.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My in ground peas that I planted March 21 are finially prouting. Geez that took a long time. The ones in pots, planted later are way ahead.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should take new pictures. My peas are growing so well. The ones in the pots are especially nice. I admire my peas every day when I go out to see the garden. I am so pleased.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Mine planted 4/5 are finally up. I'm glad now I put them in when I did, as I won't be getting into the garden again until May, with all the water.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Sugar Lace II growing in pots. These are really odd looking vines. Supposed to be a very productive variety so we will see.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Peas really looking great!

Snow peas. I have four pots.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The alien looking Sugar Lace II

10 years ago

Those peas are looking great! I tried some in the ground this year and some in containers based on your experience. I didn't have great germination all around -- not sure if it's the odd spring weather we've been having or what -- but the container has been the more successful of the two. Next year I may follow you into doing all containers.

I'll be interested to see how those Sugar Lace II plants develop. They look so unusual!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is my first try for the Sugar Lace II. But they are supposed to be a very productive variety.

I do have peas in ground but the pots are doing best. I do peas in the spring and another crop in the fall. This fall I intend to do pots only, no peas in ground. The pots work so well for me.

Another plus is that I can move the pots to the best location.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those snow peas have really grown. Here they are today in the rain.

• mandolls
    10 years ago

Rita - They look great!

I am curious about how packed you plant them. This is only my second year with peas, but you are obviously not following the 1.5 - 2 inch apart spacing rule. How many plants do you have jammed in there? Isn't it difficult to harvest them when they are packed that densely?

I have almost 300 peas up and growing in one long double 16 ft. row - it never occurred to me to plant them in big clusters like that.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, I don't follow spacing rules when planting in pots. What I do is just sprinkle the peas in there randomly. Pretty thickly but not too thickly. It seems to work in pots as I did it this way last year. I can pull the pots further apart to increase the sunlight to the middle of the row. Can't do that in ground.

10 years ago

They look fantastic! When do you plant your fall peas? (i.e., How many weeks/months before your average frost date.) You're inspiring me to plant more later in the year.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am not exactly sure when my last fall frost date is. I tried two plantings. One I put in July 23 and that worked great. Got planty of peas. I also tried another sowing August 23rd. I got plants and blooms but by mid November had no pods forming so pulled them out.

This year I will do my fall peas all in pots and should be planting around July 21-23 again.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are those strange Sugar Lace II snap peas from today.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not sure how much you can see in the picture but these are Super Suger Snap planted in ground March 21. Took them much longer to come up than the ones in pots planted later. But you can tell they are no where near as thick as the potted peas.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot to say I have plenty of seeds of the Super Sugar Snap and will be using those for my fall peas in pots. I don't have any more snow pea seeds now so unless I order some, just going to have falls snaps. I do have plenty of Sugar Lace II seed I can use in the fall or next spring.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pea blossoms!!!! My first pea blossoms of this spring have appeared. My Norli peas that I have inground in a section of veggie garden have blossoms started.

• BryanBalt
    10 years ago

I just got my first blossoms on the sugar snaps Monday morning. I think my planting date was around 3/16 or so. Good luck, pics look great.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I planted peas in ground 3/21 and 3/23 or so. I know they took longer to come up than the ones in pots did. Those came up first.

But the Mammoth Melting Snow Peas I have 4 pots of are not gonna flower really soon as they are a longer to fruit variety than the sugar snaps I have planted.

• pitcom
    10 years ago

We had a really bad pea year this year. Our weather was so cold this spring they just did not grow well for us. This time last year I had already shelled 10 pounds of peas. This year, we just got our first pods on some very stunted looking vines. I will have to try a fall planting this year.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fall planting worked well for me last year. Trick is to get the timing right. Not too early, not too late.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blossoms!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The really odd looking Sugar Lace II not yet blooming.

• mandolls
    10 years ago

Rita you inspired me to try some in pots. I actually start all of my peas inside in little 3 oz cups, 2 per cup, to make sure they are going to germinate, and then plant them out when they are about 1.5" tall. I had about 60 left over that I wasn't sure what to do with so I put them in two big terra-cotta pots with 4 bamboo poles each and put them at the entrance of my garden. Thanks for the idea.

My only concern is that because the pots flare out, the poles are not very deeply set. I am worried that once the peas grow up them there may be enough wind resistance that a heavy wind will knock them over and rip all of the pea out of the pots. Hopefully the roots will be strong and deep enough to anchor them down.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bet they do great!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, the Norli in ground peas are blooming lots and so are the Super Sugar Snap which are in ground. The Sugar Lace II are just now getting their first blossoms. The Snow peas not blooming yet.

Norli peas here in back of tomato plants.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't have a closeup of the Sugar Lace II today but want to post this shot that does show two of the Sugar Lace pea pots in about the middle of the picture and two more way up in back to the right. The pot getto on my driveway is veggies. I have peas, cauliflower, bok choi, cucumbers, melons, cow peas, bush beans, summer squash and eggplants.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Sugar Lace II peas starting to bloom.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the Super Sugar Snap

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sugar Lace II have many blossoms and have pods already.
    {{gwi:32746}}
    {{gwi:32747}}

Mammoth Melting Snow Peas have only a few blooms.
    {{gwi:32748}}

• silverkelt
    10 years ago

Still looking nice rita!

My peas are finally starting to climb, but we are going through another cool spell.. not supposed to be much above 50 next few days.

Thank you for sharing.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

But peas don't mind cooler weather.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have been picking pea pods now. So pleased to have peas. The best producer has been those really strange looking Sugar Lace II. Just covered in blooms and pods.

10 years ago

I'm just starting to get my first few pods here in Z5. The tomatoes and peppers might not be glad we're having a slow, cool start to summer, but the peas and broccoli sure are. :) Plus I'm already looking ahead to July when I will plant fall peas in large containers, all thanks to this thread.

I'll look forward to hearing how you like the taste of the Sugar Lace II when you get to harvest them. They look so interesting. How tall are the plants?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would say they are two feet or so. Parks Seeds sells them and in the description say they are 30 inches. Everything they say about how great these are is absolutly true. Plus mine are not staked, they don't need staking. They just hold on to each other.

I have eatten some and really I can't taste any difference between them and Super Sugar Snap that I also have. Both taste wonderful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar Lace II at Park Seed

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Had lots of peas to pick. I do love Sugar Snap peas.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Snow Peas on the patio are making pods now.

• ejdiv
    10 years ago

looks like sugar snap pea picking will start this weekend for me in SE mass. its been super wet and often overcast here but these guys don't seem to mind.

happy harvesting

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my. Very nice set up for your peas.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

snow pea jungle

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So what's today? July 27th. I planted my fall crop of peas today just now. No where near as many peas as I did in the spring but it will be plenty. I only planted the Sugar Lace II snap peas although I did have plenty of pea seed varieties to choose from. Will just be planting more varieties in the spring, these are enough for now.

This spring I had 10 pots of peas, some of them snaps and some snow. But I have reused some of those (especially the bigger) pots for summer veggies so had 5 pots at the ready. In my garage I do have more pots but I decided that 5 pots of fall peas will be plenty.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Dug up the onions today, tilling the empty row to plant fall peas. I'll do Sprint shelling peas, which is what everyone likes best, and they're the earliest.

Fall planting is always a race.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Soaked my Dwarf Gray Sugar and Oregon Sugar for a little over 24 hours, was going to plant yesterday but had to do grocery shopping, laundry and Dwarf weren't germinating yet in the baggie. Going to plant today in full sun empty spot between my pole beans and tomatoes, see how they do. I want August to be warm enough for tomatoes and peppers (and my 2nd crop of summer squash just seeded a couple of days ago) but not too hot for the peas!

I should have done spring peas but we went on vacation in April and I thought it was going to get too warm too soon for peas (and it did get hot the end of May but bet they would have loved all the rain in June!). My dad started snow peas at Memorial Day, they got washed out and he replanted though I told him they were a cool-weather crop, now he's got pods! Big "I told you so" from Dad! But his peas are in shade - I'll have to see how some do next year in spot where my Little Leaf and de Bourbonne cukes are now - shaded until 10AM .

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My peas are up.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County