Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veggievicki

on the couch with a bum foot

veggievicki
10 years ago

I just want to tell all of you to watch out for toothpicks. I was staying at my parents' house and got up in the night. Stepped on a toothpick in the carpet and rammed it up into my foot. Now it is infected to the point I can't walk on it. A shot and two antibiotics later I expected to be up and running today, but so far no go. To top it off, I had already broken my leg last Labor Day when I fell off the porch, barely got that healed and then dropped a plank on the other foot and broke a bone in it. I'm just thinking the garden gnomes have put a hex on me!

Comments (10)

• lucillle
    10 years ago

Vicki, I'm so sorry. Make sure you keep in close contact with your doctor and call if you have fever, swelling, red streaks.
    Why not treat yourself, you deserve it. Go visit some online catalogs and maybe buy new seeds or something else you can look forward to.
    Hope you are better soon.

• veggievicki
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Lucille. He gave me a shot and a couple of oral antibiotics. I'm just so bummed that something as silly as a toothpick could put you on your backside like this. It is DIGGING time in Arkansas!

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

OMG, what a weird thing! I've stepped on pine needles hiding in the carpet long after the holidays before, no infection. You must have gotten the used end in your foot.

Of course, my great-grandfather died of an ingrown toenail that got infected when he tried to cut it out. So take care - at least we have antibiotics now!

• Deeby
    10 years ago

Get those gnomes outta there and bring in angels ! Get well soon !

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Hope you heal with good speed! If it makes you feel better, I once was off my foot after jamming a pitchfork into it. Cheap snow boots and frozen horse poop played a part in that little incident. The emergency room nurses enjoyed the unique angle of entry (in the side of the foot), it was good that someone got some pleasure from it. :)

• veggievicki
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. It is heartbreaking what a little injury like that can do. I've been thinking about the good ol' days and how a farmer getting an injury like this could have paid a huge price in terms of his crops. I guess back in pioneer days, if you did something like break an ankle, you were doomed.Anyway, everybody stay safe. Use common sense. Don't take unnecessary risks!

• lucillle
    10 years ago

In the good old days Mrs. Farmer would often have a large family, so
    that there were backups ; both boys and girls were expected to do their part.

Sunnibel, how horrible!!! It is bad enough that northerners have to shovel snow, but clean frozen horse poop?

Veggievicki if you are growing food for yourself I wonder if the insurance company would allow payment for an assistant, as crops have to be started timely?

• lexusnexus
    10 years ago

Really sorry to hear that Vicki, and hope for a speedy recovery. I understand the frustration that goes with that. I got an infection from surgery and spent 9 months with a PICC line in my right arm giving myself IV antibiotics daily.

Dan

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    10 years ago

delete - I was attempting humor. Sorry.

This post was edited by albert_135 on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 15:53

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

Don't blame the gnomes! It was the gremlins!
    Take advantage of your bum foot and hire someone to prep your garden this year! Then all you have to do is water and pick! Nancy