Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foolishpleasure

Water Consevation

foolishpleasure
11 years ago

I am going into themode of conseving water so I put a system to direct all the rain water coming from my house gutters to go toa water tank. I have a water pump and I pump the water throught a garden hose to water my trees and vegetable garden. I thought I will get some and spplement it with tap water. To my surprise the water I collect is enough for watering all my plants. I am excited that I am saving the environemental resources. I was bragging about it but one friend told me the rain water might not be safe because it collects germs from the air. I am not sure of what he is saying but to be honest it got me worried. Any opinions on that point.
Abe

Comments (13)

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

It's not an issue...especially once soil applied and the natural soil/plant "filters" start acting upon it. Most "bad water" comes from direct contamination from wild/domesticated animal manures rather than what's blowing around in the air.

The biggest issue of contamination is going to be chemicals on your roof shingles rather than any pathogens, anyway...and this is still a very minor concern (aka, not much of one worth worrying about in almost every case).

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

I agree with nc-nm. You are doing great, don't let anyone persuade you! I was planning on doing something similar, but it is less than ideal for my situation... I was planning a drilling a well, I think that about as good as it's going to get.. I had trouble finding something big enough for my needs, without paying hundreds of buck! What are you using to store water?

Goodluck with everything,
    Joe

• foolishpleasure
    Original Author
    11 years ago

used to have water well but the city now supplies us with city water. I am using two 100 gallons tanks which we used for the old well.ÃÂ ÃÂ

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Is the well still functional? How big is your garden?

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    11 years ago

Rain falls onto your garden, too. It would have the same air contaminants as the saved water. Does your friend worry about rain falling on plants? I would not.....unless you live in a very polluted area. And then it would be chemicals, not germs (bacteria/viruses) that would concern me.

I say, good job on your watering changes.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    11 years ago

In my area, harvested rainwater is a preferable method of irrigating. Our other water is quite hard and rainwater lacks all the dissolved limestone that can cause more gardening headaches. I am extremely jealous as I would love to have those tanks to work with.

• gjcore
    11 years ago

I would put up a red flag on collecting rainwater from a cedar shake roof. Not because of the cedar but rather from the chemicals that it is sometimes treated with.

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Don't you think the chemicals they treat it with is made not to leach off and render them ineffective? Either way, what do you think is in tap water? He has a pump so I would assume he could filter the water if need be...

• foolishpleasure
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have to abandon the water well that is the law in our county if you have city water no well 'the zooning' stupid as it sounds. M y vegetable garden is small m60 by 30 feetbut I have 27 fruit trees some of them are young and in pots which needs constant watering I have plenty of rain water for all of that.

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Sounds just like what this world is coming to.. I was Talking to my brother about harvesting rainwater/drilling a well and he told me that he thinks it's illegal... He listone to Alex jones on the radio and gets all paranoid.. They wont even allow wells to water plants, is there a real reason behind this besides control and money? They are taking our guns then theyre trying to take our water! Oh boy....

Take care,
    Joe

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    11 years ago

Raw, if you are really interested in rainwater harvesting, go to the appropriate authorities in your state and find out what is legal. There may be some restrictions but that is probably something you can do. Generally, it is gray water recycling that is fraught with significant difficulties. Water law is highly regional/state controlled so I would not worry about what is said on the radio and would rather go to the powers that be to find out what truly is allowed.

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Thanks for your post! But you don't have to tell me, trust me my friend... Was just using it as an example...

Joe

• jacksonblake543
    11 years ago

metal roofing installation can be used for roofing for rain water harvesting and its better to use water for other household purposes, than drinking...

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES