Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

growing cucumber plants

I am wondering if it's feasible to grow cucumber plants from seed in a 2 gallon container; 1 plant per 2 gallon container.

Some of the containers available to me have lids so they'd act like miniature greenhouses for the cucumber seedlings correct?

What type of root system does a cucumber plant have? Is it shallow rooted (like lettuce, cabbage, etc.) or does it have a deep root system like root veggies (turnips, beets, carrots, etc.)

Below are the dimensions for the containers I'm thinking of using:

circular 3 gallon container:

Length-9"

Width (yes it's the same as the length) 9"

Height/depth (they're the same): 11-1/2"

circular 5 gallon container:

Length:13"

Width 12"

height/depth 13"

The varieties of cucumbers I have are compact, bush types with short vines. One is called spacemaster, and it's a standard "slicer" cucumber; to my knowledge it's a dwarf

variety.

The other variety I have is called pickle bush; as the name implies the cucumbers are perfect for making into pickles. They're smaller than the "slicer" cucumbers; about 4-1/2" long when mature. Pickle bush has a 24"

spread.

Comments (25)

• Jesusbeloved29_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Thank you for the links and the info. According to one of the sites, if you have a container with that is 20" in diameter you can grow 4-6 cucumber plants in it.

On another post regarding row spacing in containers you said
    in a 30 gallon container I could only grow 2-3 without overcrowding them. I know that diameter of that container
    with the length is more than 20". So why would I only be able to grow 2-3 cucumber plants in it, when according to the site, I can grow 4-6 cucumber plants in a container
    with a 20" diameter?

To my knowledge the varieties of cucumber I plan to grow are dwarf varieties and compact bush varieties with shorter vines compared to their traditional counterparts.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

You note that of the 3 articles linked only one mentions growing more than 1-2 plants in a pot (1 per 12" diameter minimum) and then only if trellised. While on the other hand, all 3 articles stress the importance of "avoiding the impulse to crowd plants, overcrowded plants typically do not produce very well" and make recommendations for far less plants.

In other words, why would you choose to focus on the one article that the other 2 sources disagree with? Consider the credentials of the sources. There are many more articles on this out there that Google will pull up for you if you search "How to grow cucumbers in containers". But if after you read them, if 10 of them say 1 to a 12" pot and one says 4 to a 20" pot, which will you believe?

So most all experienced gardeners would dispute the accuracy of the claim that you could actually grow 4-6 plants in one 20" container and expect to get any cucumbers. But you can always give it a try and see if it works. And the only way to know for sure what that author really meant to say and why would be by asking him/her.

Since you said you would be using only a 3 gallon container for these (which is smaller than anyone recommended) then trying to grow even 1 in it much less 4-6 in it would clearly be impossible.

On another post regarding row spacing in containers you said in a 30 gallon container I could only grow 2-3 without overcrowding them. I know that diameter of that container
    with the length is more than 20".

If I recall correctly we were discussing Earthboxes and that yes, 2 cuke plants was what is recommended by those experienced with EB. The length of an EB is not the same as a diameter nor does gallons = diameter as Earthboxes are quite shallow soil. But as was mentioned then you are free to give growing 4-6 plants in the one EB if you wish. That's the best way to learn anyway.

So the answer to your question "So why would I only be able to grow 2-3 cucumber plants in it, when according to the site, I can grow 4-6 cucumber plants in a container with a 20" diameter? is you can't because a)Earthboxes aren't 20 gallon containers so you are trying to compare apples to oranges and b) most would disagree on the 4-6 claim to begin with.

But the crucial point of all the articles and the reason I linked them for you is that your 9" 3 gallon container is too small for growing a cucumber of the varieties you list and that was your original question.

Dave

• kawaiineko_gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fine, forget I said anything regarding my question. It was just a question.

If the container with a 9" diameter is too small, so be it.
    Would I be able to plant 1 cucumber plant per container with the other containers I listed? Also, when the sites recommend
    using a container with a 12" diameter, is this referring to the length of the container?

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

If the container with a 9" diameter is too small, so be it. Would I be able to plant 1 cucumber plant per container with the other containers I listed? Also, when the sites recommend using a container with a 12" diameter, is this referring to the length of the container?

Did you even read what you wrote? Ok, I finally get it. This is all a joke right? You aren't really interested in gardening you are just someone having fun on the forums at our expense. Just a way to pass the boring winter months.

Many other regulars on several forums had suggested that to me - that it was all a joke with you so they were ignoring any future posts. But despite all your hundreds of "totally helpless" posts, your arguing and nitpicking replies, your repetitive posts of the same topic, your multiple accounts, not to mention your inability to find your own answer to even the simplest of questions, etc. I thought you were seriously looking for help so I kept right on trying. Even emailed you with more details and suggestions. What a waste of time and energy!

This one will likely get me a letter from admin so I hope you enjoyed yourself while it lasted.

Dave

• vkay
    14 years ago

I've grew Space Master Cucumbers last year, they were wonderful, until the cucumber beetles got to them. I also planted in a container, the only problem with any container is the amount of water it can retain, especially in the summer heat. I had one plant in about a 5 gallon container with water savers, but still had to water the plants twice a day. I also fed them every other day, that seem to keep them producing nicely. Hope this information helps.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Another point is the surface and volume of the container.
    Cucumbers family need lots of space for their roots to extend.
    So the container has to have big surface and volum.
    I woul only plant cukes in containers like half wine barrel
    and provide stakes or trellis to climb.
    In this case I would plant no more than 3 in it.

• obrionusa
    14 years ago

Can we all just stop replying to this thread? I'm like Dave and wondering if this isnt a kid just passing time on the internet. You can try to help, but he just wont get it.

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

Ha HA Last year it was the square foot garden forum. Plant the cucumbers Amy!!!

Curt~

• heather38
    14 years ago

Cup of coffee into the screen moment Curt, but she can't plant the cucumbers! because she doesn't know what soil to use or even the container size, :-) I now have this mental image of her 2 years on and she is still pacing her deck, clutching a packet of seeds. muttering 1 sq foot is 12 x 12 inches, is that up or down? it's a wonder she knows to turn the computer on!

• wiringman
    14 years ago

Amy,

i say plant they cucumbers and see how the do. i ask questions and search the net for answers but too many time i have done something not recommended and had wonderful results.

plants are very adaptable.

i can plant my Boston Pickling cucumbers 2" apart and i get very good results. of course i feet them natural minerals and lots of organic stuff.

i think what makes the difference is plenty of food, water and sunshine.

i also trellis my cucs so the leaves get full sum and there is not crowding on the ground.

well it works for me.

Dean

PS; there is nothing wrong with experimenting to find what works for you.

• mrdoitall
    14 years ago

I bet she don't have a husband!!! May have had one at one time!!!

• greenthumbsj
    14 years ago

In my experience, Cukes need a lot of water and sun and grow a good size root. As long as you can ensure that those are maintained in the container, you might be okay.

• Jesusbeloved29_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

This message is the following people-mrdoitall, heather38,
    obrionusa, digdirt

For all the other people who haven't decided to give me a lecture and guilt trip and judge me thank you for actually providing information that is useful.

I don't need people treating me as stupid because I ask questions. Unlike you I don't have years of experience. You think you and everybody else treating me like a retard and acting like condescending jerks because I make a post about a question I don't understand is nice?! You don't think that gets old and irritating fast?! Well it does!

Contrary to what you think I'm notjust asking these questions
    as a way to pass time you asswipe. It's way too early for me to grow any type of vegetable, even cool weather vegetables. If my posts disgust and aggravate you so much THEN QUIT POSTING ON THE THREADS I MAKE! NOBODY IS FORCING YOU TO REPLY IT'S YOUR CHOICE! IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO THEN DON'T IT'S THAT SIMPLE!

When people start judging me when they don't even know me and start acting like pompous arrogant jerks, I'm not just going to to sit back and take it! I'm going to retaliate!
    I don't make any sarcastic or rude remarks unless people provoke me and ridicule me.

I'm getting really sick of the stupid cliches here. "If you're an experienced gardener here who posts every now and then it's fine, but if you're newbie, asking a question because you don't understand something makes you stupid".

FYI what is really stupid to me is deciding to try and do something when you're unsure of what to do and you're confused about it. If you decide to do that you're going to make the situation worse and confuse yourself even more.

I don't know how many times I have to get it thru your thick dense head that the reason I created a new account was because I forgot my password and when I tried to recover it, to no avail. Reading and comprehension isn't that hard and I've only told you about 50 times the reason WHY I created a new account, but apparently you're so stupid you can't understand a concept as basic as reading and comprehension because I know I've put that info.

FYI I TRIED to do container gardening last year. The reason I'm asking about this is because when I did attempt to do so, I overcrowded the containers because I didn't know how many plants to plant per container. All these BS assumptions that I haven't tried to do gardening when I have are a load of dung. Excuse me for trying to learn from my mistakes, but the only way I'm going to learn from my mistakes with something I'm a novice with is by
    asking questions.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Sorry but the fact that you have several posts on the same dates such as this example under 2 different names with the same email address attached proves you are running 2 separate accounts. In some cases you have even alternated posts within minutes of each other using the two different names. But putting an end to that is the administration's problem.

And even a quick skim of your many posts over that past 2 years, the duplicate posts on different forums, and the nature of your follow-ups quickly makes it clear what is truly going on. I'm hardly the first person to have noticed it or called you on it. Merely the one on this particular forum.

• heather38
    14 years ago

thanks digdirt, before I replied Amy, following digdirt's post I did a search under the username you used for the OP, as although I have great respect for digdirt I alway's check before adding and then actually didn't add until I saw Curt's but having read through your post's, I found his comment funny.
    under your OP name all on container gardening forum, you posted June 27 09 "what soil mix to use in container gardening"
    July 8 09 "soil mix to use in container gardening", and March 3rd 10 "need 'soil' recipy for container garden"
    on the 3rd of July 09 SQ foot garden forum "what type of soil in a square foot box" in less than 9 months, 4 almost identical questions out of only 100 (and you do it on other subjects), either you are on the wind up, you can't be bothered to look up you old replies, or you are suffering from Short term memory loss,
    (So if you are genuine, start using the search or google search which is better), if you want I will post your search list's for you too see, or you can go away quietly and let us enjoy our knowledge (or lack of in my case) finding and helping.
    If it hadn't been someone of Digdirt's expertise and long standing going off at you, I would have possibly not even investigated, as it is I did....and believe me Amy, I am not perfect, I have been an arse on here!(big time!) but the frequent advisers on here are forgiving and patient beyond belief, given that they do it, in their own time, to help us idiot's, trying to learn, and asking the same question's day in day out, because as much as you search your question isn't quite asked...
    Sorry I was getting ranty! but if you are genuine, do a search before asking! especially under your own name! actually I am feeling generous, here's you search list, obviously I haven't access to your e-mail.
    I mean seriously! 2 turnip spacing questions?? in less than 2 weeks, the gig is up! you had a long run, well done, clap, clap, no encore thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: your post's all five pages, look at the main themes

• heather38
    14 years ago

Oh PS Amy, the language, I am not a christian or any other religion! but not nice! not V Christian! tone it down love.

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

Sorry everyone I did not mean to fan a fire. I do not have Amy's gift for the printed word.
    Amy; Question, If the cucumbers were crowded last year, then why did you not thin them?
    Amy; Question, When you have an answer to your post why do you try to argue with that answer?
    Amy; Question, Do you have a learning disability? My dear Wife had one in speech and reading. She could communicate just fine in other ways.

Curt ~

• duajones
    14 years ago

I have successfully grown cukes in containers many times. Here is County Fair in a container
    {{gwi:32997}}

And here is Poona Kheera

{{gwi:32999}}

• obrionusa
    14 years ago

Are you growing those in those recyclable tubs you sit out for the trash guy?

• heather38
    14 years ago

WOW! Duajones! they are huge, I failed totally with my first attempt at cucs last year, 4 times! I restarted and ended up with 2 cucs! they tasted great, but disappointed :-( my neighbour's 2 plants, Cucs where coming out of her ears (lucky for me :-) ) hopefully better this year, that said, I was extremely lucky living in NE and got a bumper crop of tomatoes, no late blight that affect so many others, win some, lose some.

• vkay
    14 years ago

Duajones, agreed WOW! Jealous, how did you get your cucumbers so healthy? Did you have any problems with pest? Please tell me the secret, if you don't mind. How's the taste of County Fair?

• duajones
    14 years ago

There were 4 recycling containers here when I moved in. I use one for recycling and two others for plants like cukes. I use a good potting soil and mix in some manure and a fertilizer like plant tone or something similar. I mulch once the plants are well established and usually water at least once a day if not twice when its hot out.
    I did have some aphid problems with the county fair last year and it eventually succumbed to some type of fungus problem, but not before it cranked out a good number of cukes. The Poona Kheera always does well for me an is always pretty early. I am growing it in the ground for the first time this year.
    I also supplement the container plants with a liquid fertilizer on occasion. Fish emulsion or liquid seaweed

• duajones
    14 years ago

I do think they are a little easier to grow in the ground if you have room. Dont have to water or fertilize as often. Here is Boothby's Blonde
    {{gwi:33002}}

and Diva, which was a bit of a slow starter but became a machine once it got going
    {{gwi:33003}}

• lizbeth_pa
    14 years ago

Wow! from me too, duajones! Awesome specimen of cukes in a container. I grew them very successfully last year just planted in the ground in my garden and I had them grow on my garden fencing. They loved climbing the garden fencing. I also tried to grow a cuke in a container on my porch but w/ not much success. I got a few cukes toward the middle of the summer but they didn't look all that edible. I might try cukes in a larger container this year! I just love cukes!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor