Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrybug2

Garlic tops wacked off

terrybug
10 years ago

Last spring i planted a few garlic cloves, dont't have much space so I planted them in my border along my front yard. And we always have to go out and pull grass from along border. So yesterday I asked my son to pull grass n instead he decided to use the weed wacker n not realizing I had garlic there he wacked the tops off. So my question is can I leave it alone or shoulod I dig them up. This is first time growing garlic, n I know i didn't plant alot I just wanted to try it out. Thanks for ur help.

Terry

Comments (11)

• galinas
    10 years ago

What zone you are in? For zone 5-6 I would say leave them alone. It will affect garlic production - bulbs could be smaller... But it will not kill it for sure.

• terrybug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Am in zone 9 I believe, socal. There was a flower already on it when it was cut off.
    Terry

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Are those maybe shallots? The leaves look hollow and garlic has strap-like leaves.

• galinas
    10 years ago

I it was already flowered and it IS garlic, then bulbs should be ready/almost ready. Take one out and check. By the way, in order to get better bulbs you need to cut "the flower"(scape) much before it opens. You can eat them if you cut them young. I also always leave one-two untouched. When they start to crack open it's time to check on bulbs and start harvesting.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

There are few problems here:

1- As sunibel said they look like shallots.
    2- If are indeed garlic, then, why you have more than one coming out from one clove?
    3- If indeed, they are garlic and flowering (?) ( maybe sending out scapes ? garlics do not flower, shallots do) then considering that and the fact that you are in zone 10, leaving them as they are is not going to make a big difference.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

I was wondering if it really was garlic too. The cylindrical leaves say not. More like a shallot or onion.

• terrybug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for replying. Apparently I was mistaken it turn out to be a onion. Looks like a fat green onion. But I didnt plant green onions, I starter white onion from seeds. It's look just like the onion I pulled in my other post title Onion also wacked.
    Terry

• terrybug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now this is really confusing. I pulled this up right close to where the above photo of onion was. It's a big clump of thin onion, or at least they smell mlike onions. I know I didnt plant that many so close together. Any ideas?
    Terry

• terrybug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Regarding the clump of onions in last photos, I noticed a hint of red so they may be the red onion i planted. So can I pull them apart n plant? Or just toss? Thanks for ur help.
    Terry

• seysonn
    10 years ago

like a fat green onion. But I didnt plant green onions, I starter white onion from seeds.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    To my understanding :
    There is no difference between what is called GREEN onion and just onions in early stage. Any onion harvested young and early is called GREEN onions , scallions. Some onions are bred as BUNCHING onions that would not bulb much. BUT they are all ONIONS.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

You could try pulling them apart and planting a few and tossing the rest into dinner. Your best source of information would be the seed packet. If it is a bunching onion, you may as well eat them now. If it is a bulbing onion, you could try a few in the ground to see what happens.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?