Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The potting soil in my tomato plants has fungus growing on top!

Posted by wertach 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 11 at 17:16

I started them indoors 3 weeks ago and they look good and healthy. When I got home today the soil looks kinda gray on top, some kind of fungus I think.

I used leftover potting soil from last year, but it was in a sealed bag. They have "true leaves" but still to tender to transplant in to new potting soil.

Any cure?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The potting soil in my tomato plants has fungus growing on to

Likely damping off. Spray with a weak solution of fungicide.

o

Sounds like you have been keeping them too wet. White spider-web type fungus will grow on the soil surface and you can also get a greenish mold. Both are signs of the mix kept too wet. Let it dry out more and it will disappear.

There is a FAQ about it over on the Growing from Seed forum if you want to read it.

Dave

o

A weak fungicide or a 10% H202 solution should get rid of it and letting them dry out between watering should prevent it from coming back.

o

I mist the soil with chamomile tea (it has antifungal properties) to prevent fungus and damping off. I don't know how effective it would be once the fungus is already established though. A box fan to increase airflow can help too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed starting (blog)

o

Another mild remedy is a weak solution of potassium permanganate - really weak, barely pink, which may be not so easy to achieve, you may need to make serial dilutions. After which I carefully "mulch" this moldy soil around the plants with a little more fresh potting soil. Works for me.

o

I have that growing on top of the soil on many of my plants as well. Seems harmless and none of the plants have had any trouble with it. Of course, that doesn't mean that the fungus is good - just doesn't seem to be causing any problem with the plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog

o

The best solution is to avoid getting it in the first place. Most well over-water their seedlings even when they think they aren't so cut back on the water. And improving the air circulation around the plants is a great help. It is the primary reason why many use a small fan set on low just to keep the air circulating and cooler around the plants.

For fungus to grow it needs wet, warm, stagnant air conditions. Eliminate them and you don't get the molds and fungi.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here