Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Chayote

Posted by terrybug CA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 17:21

Last spring i planted one chayote in a container n had it on my driveway but it didnt do well there. I even posted about it last year. So i moved it to my backyard late summer n it's has taken off. As you can see in the photo it's has taken over. I won't be able to plant anything there now.
If anyone has grown this will it bear fruit? Thanks
Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Chayote

I'm surprised your vine hasn't flowered. Chayote flowers during short days, and the equinox has just passed. Look closely in the leaf nodes at the vine tips, the flower clusters are very small. If it doesn't flower now, it probably won't do so until around September.

I grew Chayote when I lived in San Jose & San Diego, but my vines were always killed by frost... so my harvest was in the Fall. I don't know if they will fruit as well in Spring.

o

We grow chayote here and for us it produces a gigantic crop between Nov-Dec, starting to flower after the fall equinox. Some years though, there is negligible fruit production. Yours look like it likes its new habitat and it is getting ready to feed the whole neighborhood.
The bees love the tiny white flowers.

o

" Yours look like it likes its new habitat and it is getting ready to feed the whole neighborhood."

Reminds me of the first time I grew it... the vines easily overflowed the fence & began eating my neighbor's shrubbery. They are truly impressive plants.

Cabrita, I take it that your vines always died back in the Fall like mine did? I never had them continue growing through the winter, as Terry's apparently did above.

Terry, if you are still out there, did you check for flowers?

o

Yes Zeedman, they die back and the leaves turn brown, but on a good year there is some new growth as well coming from the root area. For us it produced Oct-Nov-Dec. We have started selling at our local farmer's market and that was a good thing. It was interesting that since it got so big and climbed over the bay tree, we missed some of the fruit. In January when we were pruning it, we noticed a few fruit had started to sprout while still attached to the original vine, just waiting to fall on the ground and start a new chayote plant.

o

Zeedman, i found this one at the far right corner, it's the only one that fully open. And if u can see that branch made it way to my neighbor side. It's so hard keeping them on my side some have gone thru the fence.

Terry

o

If I understand the way it growing, the flowers are coming on the sides of each branch. Can't wait to see how much fruit it will give me. Thanks to all who reply.

Terry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here