Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Cantaloupe....how long can the vines grow?

Posted by squirrellypete z7b GA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 17:25

I'm still a newbie at edible gardens but I'm finally starting to learn some things thanks to local gardeners and you Gardenweb folks and have had good success the last couple of years growing a variety of vegetables here in my zone 7a/7b Southern garden. Last year I planted 8 cucumber vines....4 on each side of a very large a-frame trellis I built and they all shot up about 10 feet and we had hundreds of cukes, way more than we could eat or give away.

This year I thought I might try cantaloupe up one side since so many cukes went to waste. I know it can be trellised and I have read about supporting the melons with little hammocks but I'm finding little info on just how high the vines are capable of growing or how many melons each plant will bear. I just usually buy cellpacks from the local Lowes or HD...whatever variety they typically carry. I know size of plant can depend on variety but can someone give me a best guess or average?

I don't want to waste that nice high trellis on something that may only get 4 or 5 feet high or only grow 1 melon per vine when I could just mound them on the ground like my watermelon plants.

Any advice on cantaloupe is appreciated! I'll try to upload pics of the "cuke house" tonight....it was quite a spectacle last year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Cantaloupe....how long can the vines grow?

The smallest varieties might only grow 5 feet long, but normal varieties grow about 7 or 8 feet long. The number of fruits on one vine can range from 4 to 10 fruits.

o
RE: New to Cantaloupe.......how long can the vines grow?

Make that 4 to 10 fruits on one healthy plant.

o

Thank you Wayne, that's what I needed to know! I think I'll give this a shot.

o

I know trellis is a way to save space if you do not have the room. I never use a trellis but I have placed grass clippings under mine to keep them from coming in direct contact with the soil and never have any problems. And never lose one Cantaloupe except by leaving them too lone on the vine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here