Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirrellypete

New to Cantaloupe....how long can the vines grow?

squirrellypete
12 years ago

I'm still a newbie at edible gardens but I'm finally starting to learn some things thanks to local gardeners and you Gardenweb folks and have had good success the last couple of years growing a variety of vegetables here in my zone 7a/7b Southern garden. Last year I planted 8 cucumber vines....4 on each side of a very large a-frame trellis I built and they all shot up about 10 feet and we had hundreds of cukes, way more than we could eat or give away.

This year I thought I might try cantaloupe up one side since so many cukes went to waste. I know it can be trellised and I have read about supporting the melons with little hammocks but I'm finding little info on just how high the vines are capable of growing or how many melons each plant will bear. I just usually buy cellpacks from the local Lowes or HD...whatever variety they typically carry. I know size of plant can depend on variety but can someone give me a best guess or average?

I don't want to waste that nice high trellis on something that may only get 4 or 5 feet high or only grow 1 melon per vine when I could just mound them on the ground like my watermelon plants.

Any advice on cantaloupe is appreciated! I'll try to upload pics of the "cuke house" tonight....it was quite a spectacle last year.

Comments (4)