Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catmint_gw

Jack Be Little Pumpkins

catmint
16 years ago

RE: Jack Be Little Pumpkins

Posted by catmint 5 (My Page) on Fri, Mar 21, 08 at 17:34

We tried Jacks last summer in our school garden. Didn't have success.

I planted one nice, healthy seedling (started in our greenhouse) in a big pot. But outside it didn't thrive. Maybe the plants prefer direct sowing? We did plant seeds in 4 more pots but left too many plants there; I probably should have thinned to one or two.

We have to grow them in pots. That should work, shouldn't it as long as the pot's large enough. How big a pot is needed per plant?

Comments (8)

• weirdtrev
    16 years ago

A half whiskey barrel size pot is good for one plant and maybe a small annual or two to fill in the bottom when the plant is vining. More than two plants per pot is definitely too many, one is ideal. Pumpkins definitely prefer direct sowing, but in your zone you might not have a long enough season to do that. I would recommend that you try miracle gro moisture control soil in the pots because if the plants wilt often you might not get fruit set. Also I know watering is probably the last thing you have time for at a school. Here is an example of a good size pot, the plant is a young mini bottle gourd, which ultimately had 11 small gourds:

{{gwi:33469}}

For scale towards the bottom of the picture in the pot are two nasturtium leaves of a seedling.

Also here are some small pumpkins grown in the same pot (but with no picture of the pot) I had over 6 small pumpkins from this one plant:

{{gwi:33471}}

• radagast
    16 years ago

*bump*

Interesting - I didn't think this was possible.

Did you have any problems with critters going after the pumpkins on the vine?

• wild_forager
    16 years ago

I lost about all of my 20 squash seedlings last year. They just refused to do anything once transplanted and soon died. I hear they just hate to be transplanted. You're better off direct sowing. Try that at the proper time and you shouldn't have a problem.

• gardenman101
    16 years ago

would a 5gal bucket be more then sufficent to grow regular pumpkins, as im limited in space in the garden?

mark

• weirdtrev
    16 years ago

I rarely have any luck transplanting pumpkins, I always direct sow them. I have cats that keep the larger critters away, the only thing that bothers my pumpkins are squash vine borers (SVB). The pumpkins and gourds on trellises seem to be attacked less by SVB, but they are far more vulnerable because they don't have many secondary roots along the ground. I don't think a five gallon bucket could support a regular pumpkin, they would dry out very frequently by the time you get a good size vine and might not get any fruit. However, if that is your only option you should try it, you might be better suited to use a small variety of pumpkin. If you have space to let part of the vine grow on the ground, you should encourage secondary roots to grow at the base of each leaf axil by by keeping them in contact with the ground. This would help prevent frequent wilting.

• akowaleski
    16 years ago

5 gallons would be sufficient for a small variety of pumpkin like Jack-B-Little, but more volume would be better. If you choose a container, water and fertilize often.

• steena-sunshine
    15 years ago

Very nice. I am currently experimenting with growing mini pumpkins and ornamental guordes in a container with a makeshift trellis made of very strong plastic poles set up like a teepee. It is not more than 4 feet tall though, so not sure is that is tall enough. So far, I have quite a few blossoms, bu don't know if I will get a fruit. Will post a pic soon.

Chris

• michi81
    15 years ago

I noticed some Jack Be Little sprouts today in my garden!!