Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wlminnesota

pumpkins on trellis?

wlminnesota
16 years ago

Have you had success growing small pumpkins on a trellis to save ground space? Thanks.

Comments (13)

• weirdtrev
    16 years ago

Yes. I recently posted a picture of small pumpkins on a trellis here is the link:

Pumpkins in a container

It is very easy to do they want to climb up things. I am sure you will find that you need to move the vines occasionally to keep them on the trellis. If you don't the vines just go straight up until they have nothing to hang on to and the tip snaps off, which isn't the end of the world the vine will just branch out. I prefer trellis grown pumpkins they are more uniform and lack the blemishes and pale bottom you would get from one growing on the ground.

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Yep! My garden is only approx. 60 sq.ft., so I used a trellis. I'd love to grow them again, but since my space is so limited, I can only grow one space hog per year. This year I'm trying canteloupes. One thing I had to do to keep them from taking over, was to keep tying up the smaller shoots that come off the main vine.

{{gwi:33878}}

{{gwi:33880}}

{{gwi:33882}}

By the way, right after Thanksgiving, I took all of them, baked them, scooped out the "meat", and ended up freezing a whole gallon of puree. If you have children, they will really enjoy the pumpkins.

Bonnie

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

One pumpkin plant can travel for miles...in a bed or on a trellis.............

• larry_c
    16 years ago

sounds like your pumpkins have been thumbing a ride? its midnight...do you know where your pumkins are?

• preciousamy
    16 years ago

ROTFL!!!! LOL!!! :) :) :)
    Hee... hee... hee...
    Thank you Larry! That was unexpected and hilarious! You crack me up! What a great sense of humor you have. Thanks for the funny!

wlminnesota, I had great success last season (my first time growing anything), with growing mini pumpkins on a trellis. I grew 'jack be little'(orange) and 'baby boo' (white). My kids loved growing, picking, and decorating these mini pumpkins!

Bonnie, what kind of pumpkins did you grow? And what kind of support did you use when the pumpkins started to get bigger and heavier? Also, did you get all those from one vine? Great looking pumpkins, thanks for sharing your pictures!

Live, Laugh, Love, and Garden!
    Keep Smiling, Amy :)

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

You're welcome, Amy! Mine were 'Jack Be Little' too, and the trellis was plenty of support for them. There were 7 vines growing up that trellis, which was about 3 too many, LOL. A lot of mine were bigger than 'Jack Be Little's are supposed to get, because my next door neighbor was growing a Jack O Lantern type, there was some cross pollinating going on. My kids enjoyed them too, but I think next time I'll try a small pie pumpkin. That way they can still decorate some, but I will have even more puree. Nothing beats a Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin for breakfast, except maybe a piece of Pumpkin Pecan Sour Cream Coffeecake!

Bonnie

• preciousamy
    16 years ago

Bonnie,
    WOW! Your 'Jack Be Little's' were plump, thats great! :)
    Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins and Pumpkin Pecan Sour Cream Coffeecake....they sound heavenly! I think I'm with you, maybe next year I will also try growing some "pie" pumpkins. And then I will have to get these recipes from ya.
    Happy Spring!

• magnolias4ever
    16 years ago

Pumpkin Pecan Sour Cream Coffeecake

OK Bonnie -- that sounds like the most delicious coffeecake I've ever heard of.... do you have a recipe??

Judy

Here is a link that might be useful: Judy's Square Foot Garden Blog

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Judy, when I went looking for the recipe under "cakes", I couldn't find it, and was about to panic, but finally located it under "breads". I just substitute 2 cups of my own pumpkin puree for the canned pumpkin. I usually make it the day before, but it is wonderful warm too. It is great for Thanksgiving or Christmas morning. Here it is:

PUMPKIN PECAN SOUR CREAM COFFEECAKE

Topping and Filling:

1 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup butter
    2 tspn cinnamon
    1 cup chopped pecans

Cake:

1/2 cup butter, softened
    3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar
    1 tspn vanilla
    4 eggs
    2 cups flour
    1 tspn baking powder
    1 tspn baking soda
    1 cup sour cream
    1 can Libby's pumpkin (16 oz.)
    1 tspn pumpkin pie spice

For the topping and filling:
    Mix brown sugar, butter and cinnamon until blended. Stir in chopped nuts and set aside.

For the cake:
    Cream butter, 3/4 cup of sugar and vanilla. Add 3 eggs and beat well. Sift flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add dry mixture alternately with sour cream. Stir well. In another bowl, combine pumpkin, 1 beaten egg, 1/3 cup of sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Spoon half of batter into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Sprinkle half of topping over batter. Spread all the pumpkin mixture. Sprinkle remaining topping and filling mixture on top. Bake at 325 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes.

Enjoy!
    Bonnie

• preciousamy
    16 years ago

THANK YOU BONNIE!!!
    I can't wait to try this recipe!
    Thank you for sharing!
    You're Awesome!

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Your welcome, Amy! I just happen to have all of the ingredients on hand, so I think I will make one this afternoon. It will be a nice treat for a Saturday morning breakfast.

Happy sowing & growing (and baking and eating)
    Bonnie

• steena-sunshine
    15 years ago

Bonnie-
    I am very envious of your success with the mini pumpkins. I am currently growing mini pumpkins and gourdes in large pots with a makeshift teepee trellis (about 4-5 feet high) So far, I do have quite a few blossoms, but I don't know if I will get a fruit. They look healthy now (though the bottom leaves are drying out), but I'm not certain if my trellis is high enough. I will post a pic soon.

• nygardener
    13 years ago

I'd like to grow regular-size (12" diameter) pumpkins and winter squash on a trellis, holding the fruits in place with slings. The trellis will be a roll of 6' tall, 2"x4" mesh welded-wire fencing material. Can this be done? I'm thinking of anchoring the trellis with stakes every 15' or so, and reinforcing it with cedar 1x3 planks every 5' so that it doesn't buckle.