Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cugal

For Sale: One Slightly Used ...........

cugal
10 years ago

One slightly used row cover.........

{{gwi:33913}}

We've had wind gusts up to 60 mph here in NE Kansas........ My brassica are no longer protected! And dang, that was brand new Agribon too!

Comments (7)

• lkzz
    10 years ago

Oh Bummer!
    I think the whole country is suffering from some sort of weather anomloy...it was 29 here last night (for the millionth time this month)...South Carolina...what the?
    I fear for my spinach and lettuce planted a few weeks ago - not holding my breath.

• cugal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks LKZZ! Yeah, mother nature can humble the best of gardeners! Can't remember my last good growing season....

Charles Dudley Warner, often quoted by Mark Twain, once said, "Everybody complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it!"

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Agree that's a bummer. Massive OVER-venting! :)

But don't toss it. You can cut to fit or stitch it up and still use it for low tunnel or row cover.

Dave

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

I didn't take a picture, but I feel your pain! When the cold shifted to warm there was a lot of wind which caught my portable chicken pen and mangled it against a tree. It was a sad looking wreck. Almost good as new now, though, thanks to a lot of duct tape and my sincere need for it to be repaired. Hopefully there is plenty to be salvaged from your agribbon. :)

• cugal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks folks for the moral support! Sorry sunnibel bout your chick digs. Glad ya got er back together!

Yeah Dave, that Agribon in the pic is now designated "floating row cover" LOL I have a large collection of "designated floating row cover",,,,,,,,, Kansas wind.... Jeeez....

OBTW...... Had activated my electric fence thinking I wouldn't need to replace the row cover to deter the rabbits.......

Came out this AM & half my brassica had been eaten!! Tiny bunnies are somehow able to avoid the fence & they can do a bunch of damage! Sooooooo, I'll replant & cover them again......... cugal makes grumbling sound......

This post was edited by cugal on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 12:27

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

I was just reading up on various things electric fence, and I think the answer about your tiny bunnies is that their light weight makes them not make good contact with the ground. At least that's what my Premier catalog seems to say. Good thing there's time to replant!

• carolparrish
    10 years ago

I had the same problem with the bunnies. The hot fence didn',t do the trick for the bunnies but it kept the racoons out. I used two foot chicken wire about 5-6 inches outside of the hot wire and it worked perfect. Make sure the chicken wire does not come in contact with the hot wire or it will short it out. It was so nice not to have my
    new plants eaten. Good Luck